Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:12 PM   #61

". . . it's a bit more versatile than that."
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:30 PM   #62

Hmmm perhaps you're right , maybe be done with it and standardise on a Phd
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:42 AM   #63

At least it made Page 4
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:53 AM   #64

Thanks x7497

I knew I was doing something wrong (forgot the bit about manual ISO setting in A/S mode) but hadn't realised that the flash was manual control in these modes as well.

Igather from your replythat in auto mode the camera adjusts the aperture and shutter and leaves the flash on high. Whereas in A/S modes the camera adjusts the shutter/aperture respectively and the flash is manually set by the user.

In which case ideally the only way to guarantee correctly exposed shots using the flash with A/S modes is to use a light meter. There is no TTL for the flash which is probably why the hotshoe can only handle manual flashes as well.

Have I got it right this time :?
number47uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:09 AM   #65

I'd be happy if my pictures made page 3!!
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:21 AM   #66

He He! or pages 4, 5, 6, . . . . of the Sport!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:53 AM   #67

Having played a lot with the internal flash recently I tried this out, obviously with shutter speed set to 1/4000 it severely underexposes it, however as I notch it down to say 1/20 or so then mine works fine, no underexposure or anything. So can't say I've found this a problem, I have though upgraded my firmware to 1.02 as I was on 1.01 previously. Don't know if that has made a difference or not. Perhaps there is more to the firmware upgrade than Fuji are saying?

Dave
med2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:55 AM   #68

Thanks for that Dave. My firmware is already on version 1.02 though and I do have a problem with the flash.
x7497 said in his earlier reply that you won't get correct exposure unless you increase the flash output to maximum, but, as I suspected, this is not necessary if the camera is working correctly.
What Fudgie call 'Flash Output' in the menus is actually +/- two thirds of a stop flash compensation. I never really believed that you should need to apply +2/3 stop compensation in order to get correct exposure with flash and if what you are saying is correct then you have just proved it.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:04 PM   #69

When the external flash is set to "on" the built-in flash give you only a low energy flash as a signal for your external flash drived by a photo cell. My S 9500 works good in all positions, including S.
Quote:
Sorry, I gave you the wrong information as I was so sleepy. I have the same problem as you have when I use S mode and the Ext Flash set to ON, but the problem was solved when I set the Ext Flash to OFF. Give it a try to see what happen.
valenttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:47 PM   #70

My S5200 seemed to underexpose as well when using flash in S mode. I discovered that the metering, or photometry setting can have a major effect. When using spot or multi metering, every shotI tried was underexposed, when I changed to average, every shot came out perfect.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote