Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:04 AM   #1

I have discovered that my S9500 seriously under-exposes when using the built-in flash in shutter priority mode, regardless of what shutter speed I select. It works fine in all other modes ie. Auto, P and A modes, but shutter priority is a no-no. Shutter priority with no flash also works fine.

My S7000 works ok with flash in all modes, so is this some kind of firmware problem or is my S9500 faulty?

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried using flash with their S9000/9500 in shutter priority mode and whether they have found the same problem.

Cheers

Monkeybloke
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:04 AM   #2

I haven't come accross this problem yet but will give it a test later and let you know how mine performs.. Have you tried talking to Fujifilm. The Assistant Customer Services Manager I'm sure would be happy to help. You can contact him via: [email protected] or by telephone (UK): 0870 0841310 just ask for Mr. Barker.

Good luck!

Regards

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

what mode did you have your flash in?
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4

The flash was in Auto Flash mode. Shouldn't be any problem - it works ok like that on the S7000. Any unsuitable flash modes are greyed-out in the menu system anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 3:30 PM   #5

if you set the shutter speed faster than the maximum 'sync' (1/125?) speed the resulting shot will be underexposed

try taking some flash shots in 'P' mode, if they are good that was the problem
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:37 PM   #6

I've tried various shutter speeds from 1/30th second upwards, the results are the same - severe underexposure.

According to the manual, flash sync should be able to cope with shutter speeds up to 1/1000th second, and on my S7000 this has proved to be the case, so why not with the S9500?

Yes, in P mode, and also in AUTO mode, exposures with flash are perfect, but it should be possible to use S mode too, but not on my camera. Is this an undiscovered firmware bug in the S9500 or is mine faulty? Many people will not yet have tested their flash in S mode as it's much easier to use the auto modes.

I'm hoping for a reply from an S9000/9500 owner who has actually tried using flash in S mode. As soon as someone can confirm that their S9000/9500 works ok in S mode I will then contact Fujifilm to complain about my camera.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:52 PM   #7

I just ran through a quick test. Exposure seems ok in S mode and the flash seems to do it's job. The guys in the white coats at Fuji may be worth contacting. I am sorry to hear you're having problems just like many others, I am on my third replacemet. Fuji have told me that they are aware that there are problems with 9500, but they say no more than any of thier other models. Personally I would be a little cross if I was on my third S3 Pro. According to Fujifilms logic it doesn'tmean thatspending mega bucks on a high end DSLR will mean there won't be the same amount of problems that many are experiencing with this camera.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:08 PM   #8

Thanks for your help ISoS. If you're on your third replacement it looks as though I could have a long haul ahead of me. Actually, my S9500 seems perfectly ok in every other respect, and I doubt that I will ever actually use flash in S mode but I think I'll have a word with Fuji anyway. Thanks for the contact details for their Customer Services.

Hope it's third time lucky for you.

Monkeybloke
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:59 PM   #9

In my last post I explained that I had done a quick test. What I did was shoot in S mode at various shutter speeds accross from slow to fast. The flash worked fine and the image viewed back on the camera seemed ok.

However, I just checked it against the other modes namely Auto, Manual, Aperture and Program and realised the incredibly marked difference in exposure whilst using flash. So, I see that the S mode really does produce far underexposed images. Why this is I can't explain. I wonder why. I can't figure it out as all settings are identical, just that S mode really does produce very markedly underexposed results. I am sure that if other users try this out they'll find the same. And if they were honest about it would tell us so.

I do apologise for not testing this more thoroughly before getting back to you. However, I think you may have hit on another, yet intriguing issue with this camera.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:34 PM   #10

Some models must have more trouble than others. The E550, and the S9000/9500 have experienced the most reliability bashing. I have not heard of one F10 problem yet. I owned a E550, and had to return it, which was when I got my F10. I think Fuji need to boalster their quality control. They are a great company, but they are lossing customers due to unreliablity, and occassionally slow support turn around times. They almost lost me, but made a recovery due to my persistance. The E900 seems to be a much revised version of the E550, more MP, and fewer reliablity problems, but some of their cameras still need attention in consistancy.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote