Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:36 AM   #1
JTF

Just purchased the Fuji S5200 as my first digicam and was wondering if current users put a clear filter on the front of the lense when shooting to protect the lense. Id so does this have any negative effective on picture quality.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2

I have a Fuji S5100. I often use a clear UV filter. My experience is that it does not adversely affect the quality of my photos. In fact, when I was experimenting the other day taking some pictures on a rather hazy day, it improved the pictures quite noticeably. You might also consider a skylight filter if you do a lot of outdoor photography. Some people like that filter because it has just a slight coloration that enhances colors just a bit. Also, be aware that you will need to purchase a different lens cap because the one that Fuji provides will not attach itself to a filter. The size you are looking for is 52 mm.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 4:31 PM   #3
JTF

Greats for the tip.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:37 PM   #4

The filter size for the S5200 is 55mm. I have 4 filters for mine and they are all 55mm.
cryptic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5

Don't know what I was thinking. You are correct about the size being 55 mm. Sorry about that.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:20 AM   #6

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Also, be aware that you will need to purchase a different lens cap because the one that Fuji provides will not attach itself to a filter.
The slide-on friction-fit lens caps common to a lot of cameras - Canon uses these even on it's more expensive models - are next to useless.The lens cap that came with myS5200 is a spring-loaded affair that fits on all of my filters quite well, and it doesn't fall off. I keep a haze filter and the lens cap onmy camera all the time with no problem.

The Fuji lens cap won't stay on low-profile filters because there's not enough rim surface for them to grip. I've found that there'sreally no need to use low-profile filters on the S5200 anyway becausecheaper normal-profile ones work just fine anddon't seem tocausemuch in the way ofvignetting.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:15 AM   #7
JTF

Thanks for the great info all, I will keep that in mind when selecting a filter so I can use the same cap that the lense came with. Have any of you used the TCON-17 lense, I have read it can go directly on over the fixed lense without an adapter?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:52 AM   #8

Yes, those lens caps are really expensive!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9
JTF

I am planning on getting it regardless. How is the image quality on the long end of the lense.