Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:48 AM   #1

Default 3800 night shots

I've been doing a ton of research, and I'm thinking my best buy would be a 3800. I was originally looking at the 2800, but with it's minimal half second (max) shutter duration, it most likely won't be able to get the kind of night shots I'm looking to take. I'm an amateur photographer looking to take pictures of cityscapes/skylines (day and night).

Will the 3800's 3 seconds be long enough to capture all the detail I'm looking to get? I have a friend registered on here as urbanphotos who owns a Sony DSC-P31 as his digital (along with an SLR) and he took these pictures of Phoenix' second 'skyline' district, the Biltmore area.

Will the 3800 give me enough manual control to capture shots like these, or will it's automatic settings be enough? I realize that a tripod will be a necessity...

Thanks
cabasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
I've been doing a ton of research, and I'm thinking my best buy would be a 3800. I was originally looking at the 2800, but with it's minimal half second (max) shutter duration,
With all the research you've been doing you should have discovered that the 3800 is a 100 ASA cam. You might be better thinking about a cam with more sensitivity coming from a better lens and sensor, say up to 400ASA with low noise - before thinking about shutter speeds.

Nights shots need plenty of care and experiment so each situation could be different. I doubt if many cams can produce perfect auto point and shoot night pics, so manual control becomes very important. You probably know that the very long shutter may increase the risk of hot/warm pixel probs.

What don't you like about the Sony?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:24 PM   #3

I know it's ISO100.

According to my friend, he says that he always takes his night shots at 100 anyway.

Three seconds is very long? :?:

I love his Sony. It just has no zoom, plus I'm looking for the next MP range up. (3 over 2)

Thanks
cabasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 4:36 PM   #4

I've got the 602 and I'm very happy with it. But some of the Oly's also have fast lenses and offer speed options.

The newer cams offer more sensitivity as well as more Mpix and improved noise performance.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:53 PM   #5

It actually takes a very good night shot but you need a tripod or forget it. Just hit the night scene button, use a tripod and i tell you what ... a good photo is the result.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 4:09 AM   #6

Yes, one thing I like about the 602 is you get a dreary dull old day and it still takes appealing pics. I know there are debates about whether pics should be real or have a 'brand look' - but I like what the 602 does and that's my personal preference.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:24 PM   #7

I too use a 602 and have been surprised at what I can get for nightime city scapes. I'm still experimenting (I've only had digital for 2 months) but on a recent trip to San Antonio I took some very nice shots right through the motel room window (I was on the 11th floor overlooking the River Walk). It really helps to be able to view the shots (connected to the hotel room TV) and make changes on the fly. Another thing that suprised me was that the Auto setting was giving me some very good pix, better than I could get by doing my own settings, but as I said I'm still experimenting. I couldn't do this with my SLR, the view was gone before I could see what I had. In the thirty years I used SLRs I've never managed to get night cityscapes as good as what I'm seeing already. I just need to get rid some noise in the really dark areas.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:16 PM   #8

I also started using the 602's auto settings and was very pleased, although I didn't like the way it prioritised to large apertures with plenty of shutter in hand. So now I'm finding Program mode better and can use more options.

Quote:
I just need to get rid some noise in the really dark areas
I haven't done much night stuff yet, but I think in night shot mode it might do the shoot black frame and subtract trick.