Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:39 AM   #11

Steve wrote:

"I don't think howeverthat it is reasonable for youto nowperform an 'about face' andcondemn the camera out of turnfor thesake of one small component failure (albeit an important component)."

Steve,

If you have to worry about a Command Wheel working every time you pick up your camera, you no longer have the ability to fully enjoy use of the camera, because you always have this worry in your head.

If Fuji takes the camera back and replaces it with a metal dial and metal stem, then I would not have to worry about the Command Dial. If they repair it to the same plastic construction I would not enjoy nor rely on the camera for taking pictures.

If it broke once it could happen again. I did not spend my hard earned money for such an expierience.

With a car, if there is question about a vital component's ability to work , you should not drive the car.

For me it is the same for a camera. If I have to worry or wonder whether the camera will work each time I pick it up, FOR ME, it is as useless as a brick for taking pictures.

You say Imade an "about face" regardng the S9000.

I made no "about face". I responded to my camera's broken Command Wheel as I would to a car without brakes.

I will reportFuji's response when I receive it.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:47 AM   #12

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Steve wrote:

"I don't think howeverthat it is reasonable for youto nowperform an 'about face' andcondemn the camera out of turnfor thesake of one small component failure (albeit an important component)."

Steve,

If you have to worry about a Command Wheel working every time you pick up your camera, you no longer have the ability to fully enjoy use of the camera, because you always have this worry in your head.

If Fuji takes the camera back and replaces it with a metal dial and metal stem, then I would not have to worry about the Command Dial. If they repair it to the same plastic construction I would not enjoy nor rely on the camera for taking pictures.

If it broke once it could happen again. I did not spend my hard earned money for such an expierience.

With a car, if there is question about a vital component's ability to work , you should not drive the car.

For me it is the same for a camera. If I have to worry or wonder whether the camera will work each time I pick it up, FOR ME, it is as useless as a brick for taking pictures.

You say Imade an "about face" regardng the S9000.

I made no "about face". I responded to my camera's broken Command Wheel as I would to a car without brakes.

I will reportFuji's response when I receive it.

Regards, Nicholas

Well, the perception of your statements certainly sounds like an about face. While I understand your disappointment and frustration, there are failures in products in every product category, perhaps when your command dial was made there was a momentary failure in the injection molding process and the part managed to get past quality control, perhaps it did not even look faulty. I've had failures on everything from under $50 electronicequipment to $3,000 music synthesizers to $30,000 automobiles, had them repaired or replaced under warranty and continued to use them for years with no further problems. One of these was a synthesizer that is a vital piece of equipment in my home recording studio, that was repaired under warranty in 1987 and continues to function flawlessly to this day. Hope your problem is resolved quicklyand that you can continue to enjoy your S9000.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:07 AM   #13

Sorry tobe the bearer of bad newsNic but, based on their currentapproachto9000 customer issues, I can't see Fuji initiating a re-design, a re-toolinganda world wide re-call overone isolated incident.

I think you are going to have to accept the camera back with stock standard replacement components.

Without dwelling on semantics, I think enthusing over the camera on one hand and then dismissing it on the other does constitute an 'about face' - albeitfounded on different motive.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:43 PM   #14

Hello All,

Thank for your input on this problem.

I was able to dig up my D60, and after trying to remember how to use it, I took 3 more images of my broken S9000 Command Dial and its spindle:

Regards, Nicholas
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:44 PM   #15

2 of 3

The broken command dial in its place upsidedown to illustrate just how thin the spindle is.

Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:47 PM   #16

3 of 3

See how thin the spindle is?

The comment about a poor injection molding gives me reason for hope.

Regards, Nicholas
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:00 PM   #17

Much better images Nic, very sharp and clear - thanks can see what's going on now (maybe you should stick with the D60 :-))

What happened to the rest of the spindle -looks like the dial's cam has shifted with nothing to hold it oncentre. The break looks like ashock rather than astress fracture.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:13 PM   #18

Nick,

What actually happened when the command dial broke? Was it just being turned or did it get a slight inadvertent knock?

I am currently on my third at the moment and still assessing whether I am going to keep it or not.

The first had really bad (and comparably so) focusing/exposure issues, as well as a few very noticable blown pixels on the EVF. The second also developed really bad blown pixels that were showing up horrendously on images.

All in all I have been assessing this camera since mid November and believe it does have some issues, although I have managed to suss them out and work around them. I will let you all know my very inexpert findings once I have decided to keep it or not.

I wanted to ask what you really, honestly, truthfully, think of the images produced by this camera. Are they as sharp, clear and crisp as any of us would reasonably expect? With no offence intended whatsoever and with absolutely no criticism of your photographic skills or knowledge (indeed I believe you are perhaps more experienced than most with pushing this camera to its limits) - I have found many of your images to be as grainy, unsharpand seemingly lacking in depth of field and detail as many as I have managed to produce.

I do have a few therioes as to why this is happening with this camera, but would prefer to hold off and digest my experiments before I spout off what could be a potential load of rubbish.

What I can say is that I have managed to take some very satisfying shots with this camera and some very bad ones.

I think Steve and Clyde are right. I am sure Fuji will offer to repair and replace the faulty component. Don't let this experience depress you and make you loose your good sense of objectivity.

Regards,

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:17 PM   #19

Nick those photo's albeit for demonstration purposes are really sharp and clear.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:03 PM   #20

To me that looks like it's been cracked/fractured for quite a while and has only been holding on by a whisker. It may have happened even before it was assembled. I think if it was a common fault we would have heard of a lot more of them failing.

Very dissapointing for you Nick, but I think it may be a one off. I work in the computer service industry and see this from time to time with plastic mouldings and metal castings.

Best regards,

Sel .........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote