Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 1, 2006, 3:50 PM   #21

Seems to me that there is more wrong with your command dial than a broken spindle, Nick. Looks like there were supposed to be four alignment pins, which should fit into the holes in the metal disc inside the camera. Two of those four pins appear to be missing...that could have caused a higher than normal stress concentration on the spindle, which ultimately led to failure of the component. There should normally be little or no stress on the spindle...the stress should be on the four alignment pins.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:15 PM   #22

Scary stuff, but if the Hun is right, and it looks to me like he might be on to something, this should be a warranty repair. I don't have an S9000, but I did inadvertantly drop my S5200 about 3 ft onto a hard floor, and it came through unscathed - not so much as a scratch and still working perfectly. So far, it seems to be built very solidly, and I would have thought the 9000 to be as good or better. It'll be interesting to see how Fuji deals with this. Good luck and happy New Year!
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:37 PM   #23

Hello All,

Thank you for your comments.

Hun, you have great powers of observation, I can see the two missing 'bumps' on the underside of the dial ( which I didn't see before ).

I will hold your observation as my Ace up the sleeve when I contact Fuji on Tuesday.

If they try to skirt the issue, I will nail them with the two missing 'bumps' you pointed out. Sincere thanks for thinking over my problem.

I will post Fuji's response when I receive it.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:49 PM   #24

Nic, I've had a really good look at the three close ups you posted and there is to my eye evidence of a shear fractureon the centre spline and the cam lug to the right - Both havecoincidining highpoints on the fracture line whichmight be consistent with either a sharp blow to the part of the dial that overhangs the camera body orsome other upward'prising' action (likeforcing the dial upward in an attempt to remove it).

Just an observation which doesn't seem likely in your case, butcould the cameraperhaps have beenmanhandled/dropped by someone in your absence?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:28 PM   #25

No one drives my car and no one touches my camera.

I will post Fuji's response after calling them on Tuesday.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:45 PM   #26

"I will post Fuji's response after calling them on Tuesday.

Regards, Nicholas"

Well?

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:28 PM   #27

Hey ISoS,

I owe you a previous answer:

Above you wrote:

"I wanted to ask what you really, honestly, truthfully, think of the images produced by this camera. Are they as sharp, clear and crisp as any of us would reasonably expect? With no offence intended whatsoever and with absolutely no criticism of your photographic skills or knowledge (indeed I believe you are perhaps more experienced than most with pushing this camera to its limits) - I have found many of your images to be as grainy, unsharpand seemingly lacking in depth of field and detail as many as I have managed to produce"

The only reason for my beinga photographer is to Capture the Moment, and then to present that moment to those interested in it.

At present, the S9000 enables me to capture more moments, faster, easily, and more effectively than anyother camera. This is not saying my camera is better than yours where I come from. The S9000 images are far more than I "would reasonably expect" ( your words).

I delivered my S9000 to Fuji Repair Service today. May take two weeks to return the camera. Will post results as I obtain them.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:15 AM   #28

Thanks for the much awaited update Nicholas. What was their initial response when you told them the dial had fallen off. Were they sympathetic? Is the repair to be under warranty?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:15 AM   #29

Called Fuji :

"No problem"," This is first such problem" as per the Rep. Given name of local repair service.

Called Repair Service: "You can drop camera off today".

Brought camera to Repair Service.

Tech Rep said problem "can be solved in 20 minutes but dos not have the part"."First time he saw an S9000 in for repair".They will send it to Fuji. Was issued receipt detailing items included, (lens cap, etc), marked "repair under warranty". He said Fuji will call themwhen they receive it and then he will call me to let me know how long it will take.

He said it "could take a while, about 2 weeks."

I reminded him to send the broken dial with the cap so Fuji doesn't just see a camera with a missing dial, but the broken dial as well. He sad he will do so.

Where does this leave me and if the camera will be fixed by Fuji under warranty, I really don't know .

But I will surely keep you all informed. So far it sounds good.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:17 PM   #30

Nick some important news for you!

Somebody else is experiencing a Command Dial problem with their 9500 -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16579481

You might like tolet him/her know about your experience.

Just by the by, I notice that Canon EOS owners are having exactly the same problem.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote