Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:57 PM   #1

Would you believe this?:

I picked up my camera to shoot falling snow from my window and the Command Dial fell off as I was turning it to adjust my historgram info!!!

I could not believe what I saw. The spindle of the Command Dial is thinner than the lead of a pencil and made of plastic.The Command Dial extends over the edge of the camera's right rear top corner. Even when holding the camera strap, the strap itself could exert force on the Command Dial. And with it having such a weakly engineeredspinle one can see how it could be easily broken, even with the user handling his camera with care.

For this reason,that is, the S9000 has such a large Archilles Heel, I can not suggest anyone consider this camera, regardless of my previous statements regarding the S9000.

Here are two images showing my camera's missing Command Dial and then folowed by a picture of the underside of the broken command dial showing just how thin its spindle is.

I will be very interested in Fuji's handling of this problem after the holiday.

Regards, Nicholas
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:59 PM   #2

The underside of the Command Dial. See how thin the plastic spindle is?

Regards, Nicholas
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Would you believe this?:

I picked up my camera to shoot falling snow from my window and the Command Dial fell off as I was turning it to adjust my historgram info!!!

I could not believe what I saw. The spindle of the Command Dial is thinner than the lead of a pencil and made of plastic.The Command Dial extends over the edge of the camera's right rear top corner. Even when holding the camera strap, the strap itself could exert force on the Command Dial. And with it having such a weakly engineeredspinle one can see how it could be easily broken, even with the user handling his camera with care.

For this reason,that is, the S9000 has such a large Archilles Heel, I can not suggest anyone consider this camera, regardless of my previous statements regarding the S9000.

Here are two images showing my camera's missing Command Dial and then folowed by a picture of the underside of the broken command dial showing just how thin its spindle is.

Regards, Nicholas
Sorry to hear the bad news Nick. I must take more care of mine. I'm still on holliday and using it every day! Please let us know what happens with Fuji.

Best Regards,

Sel .......... :sad:
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:03 PM   #4

Hi Nick,

Sad to hear that and it happendon the eve of new year. Oh can i be fixed with a epoxy/vinyl glue? Return the camera for a replacement.
hazarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your camera Nick. Makes me realize just how vulnerable it is.

I think Fuji should honour a repair or a replacement. This is surely a manafacturing fault, especially in light of their advertising;

"The Travel Photographer of the Year competition sets very high standards. Here is a camera that meets them"

Regards

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6
Baz

I'm very sorry to hear this bad news Nicholas.. It is very serious, and will be of concern to all 9000 owners, myself included, as the command dial is used very frequently in many modes.

I've been a loyal Fuji user for years. From the 2800 >602 > Z1 & now the 9500.
The 602 is another story. About 4 months ago, it developed a black spot in all images. Out of warrantee of course. What to do? No good as is, to use, or even sell. And so I sent it to Fuji NZ for repair.

While waiting for the 602 repair & after reading the advice & opinions of yourself & others I purchased a 9500. I have been very pleased and enthusiatic with the results, like yourself, Sel, & others.

The 602 has since been returned. The sensor was replaced at a cost of $250 NZD, and the camera is good as new. I'm not sure whether to sell it, or keep it as a spare. That might be a good idea, if I have trouble with the command dial on the 9500.

I hope you get a satisfactory solution from Fuji about this problem Nicholas.

Regards,
Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:01 PM   #7

From looking at pictures of the S9000 it appears that the command dial is the same as the one on the S7000, positioned in almost the same place. If it is the same, I can't recall ever hearing of an S7000 with a broken command dial. Perhaps after further research we will find out if it is the same. And perhaps your unfortunate incident is just that and nothing more.

Clyde-whose S7000 still has an intact command dial
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:22 AM   #8

Thank you all for your comments.

The spindle of the command dial is so thin I consider it to be 'negligent engineering' and wonder how Fuji could permit lt it leavetheir assembly line.

I will report their response here.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:55 AM   #9

Nick,

Any chance of you trying to get a decent shot of that spindle. Perhaps using another camera or maybe the super macro mode. Just for the database really.

Regards

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:21 AM   #10

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:

Regards, Nicholas
Nic, I can understand your dissapointment - must be quite close to the levelof dissapointment those who have received the so called 'duds'are experiencing. I don't think howeverthat it is reasonable for youto nowperform an 'about face' andcondemn the camera out of turnfor thesake of one small component failure (albeit an important component).

Unfortunately the image you posted of the Command Dial ispoor (very noisy)on my screenand I can't even make out the spindle you are referring to, but I would say to you thatthe diameter of the spindle is notnecessarily an indication ofits strengthnor that the component is in any way under designed.It depends on the material employed in the construction. There are many types of'plastic' - some weak & some incredibly strong.

I would think that Fuji's response will beto take the cameraback under Warranty, replace the part andreturn itto you in working order.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote