Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:43 AM   #1

Hi,

A a first time P&S buyer, I'm totally confused, as most of you probably would have been when buying for the first time, on what camera to choose.

As far as my research goes, the Fuji F10/F11, Sony DSC P200 and the surprise candidate, Samsung V800 (just for the load of features, including remote control!).

Anyway, I'll save you the cross manufacturerar comparison and just need advice on whether to go get the F10, or the newer F11.

Here in the UK, we've already got some good deals on the F10, selling at £180, where as the F11 is selling for £230 at minimum. We are taling a approx $90 difference here... enough for a 1 gig xD card.

As someone who'll tend not to take too may night photos. does it make sense for me to wait for the F11? Or whould I?

Happy new year.
maxxxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:24 AM   #2

Maxx-

The only advantage that the Fuji F-11 has over the F-10 model is a full array of manual controls. Most users of the F-10 don't need the manual controls. Therefore, you must ask yourself the key question: How apt will you be to use the manual controls a lot?

I am a professional, and often carry my F-10 with me as a pocket camera. I have been able to get wonderfulphotos from the F-10 without the manual controls. Here is an example.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:11 PM   #3

The major changes from the F10 to the F11 are: a 33% increase in LCD pixel density, the addition of aperture and shutter priority, and a slightly closer macro focusing ability. Considering neither camera has an optical viewfinder, the improved LCD may be of importance to you. One of the complaints I heard about the F10 was the lack of manual controls...now, the F11 has them.

As a first time digicam buyer, you may not feel the need to spend the extra money for the new features. I would tend to agree with you. By the time you feel the need for manual controls, Fuji will probably come out with the F12, which will add half a dozen additional improvements (for a little more money).

Whichever way you go, good luck, and take lots of pics.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:43 PM   #4

Price-wise the Fuji F-10 is clearly the best buy. With all due respects, Rinnie, a bigger LCD and a closer macro range does not represent a HUGE improvement. Either digital camera will serve you well.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:57 PM   #5

"With all due respects, Rinnie, a bigger LCD and a closer macro range does not represent a HUGE improvement."

Who said it was?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:28 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the kind advice. I'll goto theshops afterall and check both the cameras out in daylight to see if the LCD really matters.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7

I just bought the E900, as an addition to my S9500. Check it out, you may like it.
pr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:59 PM   #8

Just what I needed, more confusion :?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:47 AM   #9

and to add even more to your confusion, Pentax just announced the A10...same sized sensor as the Fuji, 8MP, image stabilization, and thinner form factor! Also, ISO up to 800 (not quite as high as Fuji's 1600, but the image stabilization might make up for it.)
Where's that F12?
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote