Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:01 PM   #1

I am new to this forum, but have been reading everything I can find about the S9000 both before and after I bought mine.

I was wondering if anyone can help me decide if this one is a dud or not?

A little history
I have been taking pictures for years, starting with a Nikon EM. I more recently bought an S7000 after using an S602zoom. I have been using the S7000 for almost two years and have taken 17000 pictures with it and am 110% satisfied with this camera. I then saw the specs on the S9000 and it had all the features that I would like to have had in my S7000. After hours of research and a little prayer for good luck in getting a good one, I bought one. After looking at the first pictures from the camera I was so disappointed and disheartened that I was not able to take any more that night. I then took a few hundred while home for Christmas but with the same result, I just was not pleased with the pictures. I kept thinking that I "just had to learn how to use this camera", but after the 500th picture, I am still not satisfied.

I was wondering how I can test my camera to know that I have a dud before spending the time it would take send it back.

I have taken pictures with my 9000 and my 7000 from the same tripod in the same lighting and just can't seem to get over the fuzziness of the pictures from the S9000.

If anyone can help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated!

-Skydog

(Here is a link to two pictures that I took in my office. They were taken form the same tripod in the same lighting. http://www2.msstate.edu/~msc7/Test.zip any comments would be greatly appreciated!)
Skydog222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:24 PM   #2

I would like to see your images BUT,.....

......in this day and age I don't wan't to download a ZIP of 1.5MB from anyone.

Can you post some web size samples of both pics and then a couple of small 100% crops to display your problem images?

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:08 PM   #3

I can understand your concern =)

Here are the pictures that I linked to in my last post.

Full Picture from S9000

Full Picture from S7000

Cropped Picture from S9000

Cropped Picture from S7000

A little more information:

S7000 picture information
3MP, ISO200, S 1/20, F3

S9000 picture information
3MP, ISO200, S 1/40, F4

Both were taken in auto mode without a flash.

Thanks for the fast response!

-Skydog
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:28 PM   #4

Skydog222 wrote:
Quote:
I can understand your concern =)

Here are the pictures that I linked to in my last post.

Full Picture from S9000

Full Picture from S7000

A little more information:

S7000 picture information
3MP, ISO200, S 1/20, F3

S9000 picture information
3MP, ISO200, S 1/40, F4

Both were taken in auto mode without a flash.

Thanks for the fast response!

-Skydog

My first question would be why are you shooting at 3mp in either one of these cams?If you intend to shoot 3mp,buy a good 3mp cam if that is all you are going to shoot. Why not take advantage of the full resolution of both of these cams, I get beautiful pics from my S7000 shooting at 12mp fine soft.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:45 PM   #5

My first thought is that the S7k is applying heavier sharpening that the S9k. I have never used the s7 though, so others with greater experience may know better.
jbabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:11 PM   #6

The S9000 shots were taken in Auto mode with an ISO of 400! Even if you set the camera in MASP modes to say 200, the Auto mode chooses its own ISO. For this reason I never use Auto as sometimes it chooses ridiculously high ISO settings. My S5500's ISO setting is set by the user not by the camera, even in Auto mode. I hope this helps.

Regards,

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:14 PM   #7

Re check your exif data.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:48 PM   #8

Using 3MPmode of the S9000 I believe subjects the image to two forms of compression, first to 3MP and second to Jpeg. This would reduce the quality of your s9000 image. So would the ISO difference.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:05 AM   #9

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
The S9000 shots were taken in Auto mode with an ISO of 400! Even if you set the camera in MASP modes to say 200, the Auto mode chooses its own ISO. For this reason I never use Auto as sometimes it chooses ridiculously high ISO settings. My S5500's ISO setting is set by the user not by the camera, even in Auto mode. I hope this helps.

Regards,

ISoS
You are correct, I did look at the wrong exif data, I was looking at the next pictures data instead of that one.

ISO400, S 1/27, F3.7

But that mistake aside, what is a real world test that I can use to judge the performance of my camera to make sure it is performing on par with other S9000s?

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting with this camera. I like the feel, I like the features, I like the speed of starting up and shutting down, and I like that I can now use filters again! =) So I don't really want to give this camera up. I just want to make darn sure that it is operating the way that it is suppose to before I sell my S7000 to a friend. If all that it takes is me learning a little more about this camera, then so be it, I can do that. I just would like a second opinion. =)

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions thus far.

-Skydog
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:53 AM   #10

Looking at the pics you have posted, your camera is O.K. There is no real softness at the edges. The s9000/s9500 is a lot softer, less contrasty, and has less saturation straight out of the camera. This is a good thing. It means you have more control over how the final image is going to look. The images need more processing to make them look like a s7000 image on screen but look a lot better when printed. Use unsharp mask, for sharper images with more detail for on screen display.

Your s7000 images look like mine used to. The camera has over sharpened the images.

Sel ...........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote