Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

OK. So I was bought a 6GB microdrive for my S9500 before Xmas. Great I think, then I read an article on the internet that a new firmware has been released precisely for the 6GB drive, so I upgrade the firmware.

The firmware upgraded fine and the camera works fine, however I now find the internal flash has gone a little flakey. It does not always fire as it should, somtimes in A mode when I have it set to slow synchro it just fires as if it's set to regular flash. Sometimes it doesn't fire at all when I have set it up to fire in A/S/M modes, it just now seems random when it fires the flash. Also when it does fire it somtimes it exposes the picture correctly other times it's out of synchronistation completely.

I've seen the other thread about the internal flash not synchornising correctly on S mode, but I'm not getting that.

I'm going to get it warrantied and fixed by Fuji, but thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced the same problem after uprading the firmware. The only oddity I can think of was that when I upgraded the firmware the camera was set to shoot RAW rather than jpg, but that's the only thing and the firmware upgrade completed fine. Also as I said everything else other than the flash works fine.

Anyone else experiencing this problem or just me? :?

Dave
med2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

I'm having a difficult time believing that the firmware upgrade is causing the problem. I don't believe the two are related. Is it possible that you just didn't give the camera ample time to recycle/recharge before you took the next picture?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:24 AM   #3

I'm doubtful too to tell the truth. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that it started working intermitently after the upgrade. It did used to work fine, then I didn't use the flash for a couple of months, then I upgraded the firmware then around Christmas when I started using the flash again I noticed it wasn't working like it did.

No, honestly I have been giving it time to re-charge and re-cycle.

:|
Dave
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:50 AM   #4

Hi Dave,

Just a thought, but maybe it's worthchecking out your batteries - what are you using? I've found dodgy batteries can sometimes produce some strange behaviour - even if they seem to be charging & discharging OK might still be worth trying a new set. I can't see the Firmware upgrade can be responsible unless something got corrupted during the download.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:18 AM   #5

Hey Steve

It's certainly an idea. I have several set of NiMH batteries, all Uniross 2100's that are around 18 months old. I have tried new sets to make sure it's not the batteries.

They all work fine in my girlfriends S7000 and my old S602Z though, and don't cause any flash problems.

Dave
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:39 AM   #6

I've standardised now on 2500 Ni-mhas I find they really perform well and seem tolast forever between charges. Think Iread somewherethat the 9500 isslightly more power hungry than previous models, although with manual zoom & focus I would have thought not. Maybe somebody more in the know can confirm this, one way or the other- justout of academic interest.

Still think it might be worth while trying a brand new set of batteries if your current ones are 18 months old,given the demands of flash photography.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:22 AM   #7

Steve

Looks like your advice has worked a treat. I went out yesterday and purchased some 2500 mAh batteries, charged them up and stuck them in the camera and it's much better now. Seems to have just about fixed it, flash now seems to fire fine after giving it a little time to charge, and cycle.

Cheers for the tip.

Dave