Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1

Ooooops, that was to read FUJI in my title, not Fuju...:lol:Getting ready to order the Fuji Finepix S5200 and wanted to know how you guys like the camera so far. Are there features that really make the camera stand out compared to others for the same price? or, are you sorry that you bought it? I just want to get an idea on how you guys feel about the S5200 and if you would recommend it before I call and place my order.....

Thanks again guys.....

:|
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

From whom do you plan to order it? i have been doing exhaustive price shopping for it along with price for extra memory, rechargeable batts, adapter, etc.*
nmlhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

I really like my S5200, got it just before Christmas. I read lots of article on it and the S9000 and decided I didn't need the 9MP's(I also have a Canon G6,but cannot get the zoom I wanted) I like the 10x zoom and bought from Abe's of Maine for 294.00 plus shipping-they were quick and easy to deal with.
nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:16 AM   #4

I got mine in October. It's a wonderful camera once you acclimatize yourself to it's sometimes strange ergonomics. The 10X lens is great - fast, clear and mostly distortion free, the high ISO capability (up to 1600) really works and the camera's color accuracy is amazing. It's light and easy to carry around, although it's non-retracting lens makes it a bit bulky. This is a very. very good camera, in my opinion. The things I'd change: switch from using expensive proprietary xD memory cards to cheaper and more common SD, putboth aperture and shutter-speed adjustments on the four-way controller, and a combination of Image Stabilization and high ISO would make the S5200 darn near perfect, but would add to the price.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:06 PM   #5

I've had mine since October, the S5200 is the best bang for the buck, period. No other ultrazoom comes close in its versatility.

I've tested this camera to death, lots of sample as well as real-world images:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Here are several gallery I would recommende visiting first.

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album20

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album09

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album26

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...m30&page=5

At iso800, the S5200 images are still very usable, although you will notice watercolor effect due to Fuji's overly aggressive noise reduction. The only way around it would be to shoot in RAW, but unless you have lots of time to frame your shot, it's just not very feasible to use everyday because the write time is slow.

iso1600 is a bit of a stretch, especially if you should in jpeg mode, but if you shoot in RAW, any decent 3rd party noise reduction program like Neatimage or Noiseware should clean it up very nicely and many shots can still be good for 8x10 prints.

There really isn't other ultrazoom around the same price, the only the comes to mind are the Panasonic FZ5 and the Kodak p850. Both these models have I.S. lens, however iso400 performance is not very good, the FZ5 performs slightly better than the p850 in iso400, but it's no where close to the S5200's iso400 performance.

If you find the S5200 a bit limiting and you can spend a little bit more, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ30, it has I.S. with a pretty fast and sharp lens. The iso400 performance is also very respectable, especially in RAW.

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:16 PM   #6

Thanks Curtis. As Im typing this, Im getting ready to order the Panasonic FZ30.(Just have to convince myself thatspending doublewhat the 5200 is.... worth it:roll:.)I "WAS" going to get the S9000, but the quality issues made me nervous. It was going to be either the S5200 or the FZ30. After hanging out in the Panasonic forum, there is ALOT of good things they have said about the FZ30. (Compared to the S9000.)Ive heard alot of good things about the S5200.I really dont know what made me change my mind and go with the FZ, I think it was the sample pics that people were posting.:-)
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:29 PM   #7

I think you've made a good choice, the FZ30 should keep you happy for quite some time until a better camera comes around. Congrats!

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:08 PM   #8

Hi,

I got mine at the end of November and so far I'm happy. I think it brings good features and a good quality for the pictures considering the price. I was searching for a digital camera for almost 2 months and my conclusion is if you keep searching you won't get one to soon.

The high ISO and the zoom were the main reasons I selected this model. Some of my work coleagues were amaized by the zoom. Plus it looks quite cool. I like to take pictures in the dark so the 15 seconds exposure time is a good feature.

I bought theFuji1G MxD card and I made some short movies at maximum resolution and the results were very good. No problems.

I attached one of the pictures I made at Miniature Village near Toronto (unfortunelly the site closed in January - very sad)

I used ISO100, exposure 2 sec and aperture 4

Attached Images

oliv is offline   Reply With Quote