Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:26 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I finally got my s9000 2 weeks ago and I love this thing. I am finding more and more useful settings each day. This forum and it's users really helped me to decide to go with the s9000 and I'm really glad that I did. The only other camera that I have owned was an oldschool finpix 2300 (2.1MP).

Here are some of my pics so far

http://www.aaronrosa.com

please give me some feedback and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Aaron
Aaronss9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:59 PM   #2

Aaron,

Those are very nice images. Unfortunately, I think the 9000/9500 has gotten a bad reputation. Yes, I realize that there have been a few people who received faulty cameras. But there was so much pre-release hype about the capabilities of the camera that I think some people were expecting more than was reasonable. I was one of them. When I first got my camera I hurriedly took a few pictures and then panicked after I downloaded them. I was convinced that I had one of the problem cameras. When I finally settled down and started to work with the pictures and compare them to my other camera, I quickly realized that I had purchased exactly what I had wanted. I think any camera requires a little time to become accustomed to its idiosyncrasies. I had trouble with my 5100 when I first got it too. But I eventually got to the point that I could get very sharp pictures from it.

Jim
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:11 PM   #3

Jim,

I was worried with the forst couple of shots as well! After relaxing and reading these forums a bit I have found this to be a great camera.

Thanks

Aaron
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:15 AM   #4

does anyone else haveany comments or constructive input? I need some extra eyes
Thanks
aaron
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:00 AM   #5

Hi Aaronss9000,

As you request.

Please remember these are my subjective observations of your images and I am also an S9000 user.

First, your images show just how good the S9000 is.

Yourcomposition provided me with a good reason to view your pics. I am not looking at a picture but at your subject. Very good. I would vary shooting height from time to time. One very distracting issue in some galleries is when all images are shot from the same height ( photog's eye level ), ( Not your gallery, but 2 or 3 pics in a gallery could cause this distraction depending on the images ).

The color of your images is right on. Thank you Fuji.

I would suggest you experiment with your f-stops regarding depth of field. Yes, I am aware that depth of field is the'Artistic Wand' of many photogs , but many times I find it not used properly.

Ok, here goes shot by shot, IMHO:

The Planes and Deer shots are fantastic.

The Moss shot should be entirely in focus, the nearest moss is out of focus stops my eye. Try a smaller f-stop.

*** note: with the S9000 don't be afraid to raise the ISO when using a smaller f-stop if needed. The good noise performance permits you to do this.

The Eskimos' sign in the rear is out of focus and is distracting to me. My eye goes right to it. Remember, your CCD is like a plane of film, it should be parallel and equi-distant to the important parts of your subject ( as close aspossible ) when you are tyring to capture a descriptive image. You must tell the whole story.

You landsacpe shot has all the elements, but the out of focus foreground (almost to the point of appearing mushy) distracts me. A smaller f-stop and a tripod are generally required for a landscape ( using the self-timer as wel to avoid camera shake ).

The Fence presents the mood to me very well. I would increase the contrast ( PP, not in camera) to bring out the various elements.

The Daisy has alot more detail at its center. I would use a tripod and take the whole flower and then astheically crop it in PP.

Your Hope shot is a good idea right up my alley. It seems the buds are not in good focus. Try manual focus with the magnifier. Also I would haveused my flash to highlight the buds, knowing the distant background would not be affectted by the flash. Again a tripod would help greatly.

Your Titles are just very well named, very very good.

I hope some of this helps. And I hope you will respond to my comments.

Too many posters asking for help seem to ignore the feedback, and not even acknowledge it, whether it be of value or not.

Keep shooting and posting with your S9000.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6

nick,

Thank you for the feedback, I truly respect your opinion! Your photos are the main reason that I was sure that this was the camera to purchase. Reading yourposts kept me up late at night a few times.Thanks again for your advice,I will give your suggestions a try

aaron

www.aaronrosa.com

Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:37 PM   #7

Great shots Aaron
redgreenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

These are great shots, I am sure the camera helps but there is a lot of talent shown in these photos. Some good suggestions on this thread that I will try as well.
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:33 AM   #9

Thanks Allen and RGB, it's nice to hear. I'mlearning so much from these forums.

aaron

aaronrosa.com
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:18 AM   #10

Every photo is great except the fence. With the background so out of focus it seems to lead to nowhere. Try using a smaller f stop and focus further down the fence for greater depth of field. Just my opinion. All the rest of your photos are really nice. Keep up the good work.
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote