Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Settings?
Any thoughts? 0 0%
please help! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:05 PM   #1

Hey there,

Can anyone tell me what settings and process I should use in photoshop to sharpen my images in photoshop. Also are there any reports of faulty S9000's in australia? Just bought mine after using S5000 and I am not overly impressed yet. Does using chromemode effect image quality? Macro shots in auto are very sharp(even when displayed on monitor), but all others do not appear crisp. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Crashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the default setting on s9000 is a bit soft on purpose.. this allows you more room for sharpening in post when compared to a conventional p&s type camera.. a good start for sharpening a full size shot for print is about 100-130% at a 1.0 radius with 0 threshold.. adjust from there as needed.. if you are sharpening a resized image for web presentation i like about 60% at .8 radius and 0 threshold.. adjust from there as needed..

it is also a good idea to learn to use "levels" appropriately as well as learning to adjust your contrast and saturation whether you use the sliders or learn to use "curves"..

proper post-process skills make a world of difference when upgrading to a serious amateur or professional level digital camera whether it a be a s9000 or a dslr..

-dustin

p.s. chrome mode boost saturation and contrast to mimic high saturation slide film.. don't use it for portraits!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:00 AM   #3

Thanks dustin, will give those settings a try!

Crashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:37 AM   #4

Hi Dustin, Please keep posting on this subject (PP) whenever & wherever you can - your advice is always straight forward, understandable andauthorative. You have a talent forimparting your knowledge in an encouraging and no-nonsense manner which is hugely beneficial toall of us - especially the new 9000/9500 owners where PP is such an important aspectto the camera.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:53 AM   #5

I'll second that. Your experience is much valued. Would like to see more of you in the Fujifilm forum.

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

thanks guys.. its good people like you that make this forum so great..

anyways i was just here in fujifilm because i am thinking of upgrading my compact companion for my 20d.. i think i am going to give my lil lady my S50 and was thinking bout the fujifilm E900. i actually expected to see more talk about this camera on here, afterall it has the same 9.1mp ccd and image processor as the s9000, but in a compact design! sounds like a perfect go-anywhere companion..

the only reservations i have is the XD mem card format and the fact that Pixmantec won't support any fujifilm RAW in their RawShooter.. and i have no idea why.. oh well, i suppose i can just use ACR..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:11 AM   #7

Crashbaby wrote:
Quote:
Also are there any reports of faulty S9000's in australia?
The good news Crash, is thatAussie & Kiwi users appear happy with their 9500's(which seem to belong tothe53L sequence). Only two faults reported so farwith the 53L prefix. Hope that helps.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:48 AM   #8

Make that 3. I am getting ready to send my camera in to the repair centre.

I am just not happy with soft pics and constant sharpening (in some cases extreme sharpening) in all photos. I can accept that I will get the occassional photo out of focus but not when I get a focus lock and the pic is not even close to be in focus.

I look forward to getting mine back and enjoying it. I really do like the setup for this camera.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:15 PM   #9

I tried these USM setting in conjunction with someone else's suggested settings on the camera itself and I was quite pleased with the end result! The actual non pp'd images were a bit disappointing (quality of light didn't help) but applying the unsharp settings as suggested here really made the images pop.

My camera settings were:

Sharpness: Soft
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal

I applied USM in Photoshop at these settings:

Amount: 120%
Radius: 1.3
Threshold: 0

Anf I believe I maintained more original detail in this manner as well.

The thread discussing the camera settings is here on DPReivew (I hope posting this is acceptable):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16471397

jbabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:23 PM   #10

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote