Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:41 PM   #11

Just want to be sure you know that I.S. can only prevent camera shake, it cannot prevent subject movement.

The FZ30 has usable iso400, usable in my book means you can do minimal post-processing and the image will be printable to at least 8x10.

The S9500 has usable iso800, it has usable iso1600 if you shoot in RAW

The S5200 has usable iso800, it has usable iso1600 if you shoot in RAW.

I am favoring the S5200 over the S9500 not because of price, but because of the lens.

The S9500 close down to f4.5 at telephoto end, while the S5200 aperture is f3.2 at telephoto, that is full-stop advantage.

I give the FZ30 a slight edge over the S5200 because it has I.S. will provide a 2-fstop compensation for camera shake. But it does not work miracles.

For example, to calculate the minimum shutter speed required to prevent camera-shake of handheld shots (no support), the rule of thumb is 1/focal length.

So for the FZ30 at full-zoom (420mm), you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/420s to avoid camera shake, but since it has I.S. You can lower the shutter speed to 1/105s. If there is not enough light in the room to even provide a shutter speed of 1/105s, then you also have to resort of a tripod or some other support like a chair, a wall, or railing.

curtis

SantoW wrote:
Quote:
Price isn't really the issue, more future-proofing, I want something I can learn with and will last 3-4 years, at which time I'm hoping that the DSLR market will have a few more competitors and the obvious advancements..

Still a bit stuck in this one, I usually do quite a bit of shooting at tennis events, which are generally natural light, but limited inside a stadium, I'll do a few interior family shots, but the majority will be outside..

I understand the high ISO v IS argument, what I was thinking is that the noise on the FZ30 may be a price worth paying for IS, given it can more easily be solved afterwards (can remove noise, can't re-take picture if it's slightly blurred)..

I guess your argument for the 5200 over the 9500 is price? There's nothing the older one has the newer one doesn't?

Thanks for your help
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:47 PM   #12

SantoW said:

"Still a bit stuck in this one, I usually do quite a bit of shooting at tennis events, which are generally natural light, but limited inside a stadium, I'll do a few interior family shots, but the majority will be outside.."

Image Stabilization will do nothing for you when shooting tennis action or children in a room.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:27 PM   #13

I understand that the camera is unable to freeze the subject... it's not so much action shots I take, but I do find that when the players are in serving positions they are stationary enough for some decent shots..

I assume the S5200 is what is known as the S5600 in the UK. The one reservation I have from the review of that is the zoom seems to be controlled from buttons rather than a mechanical zoom, which from the reviews I've read seems to be preferable. The S9500 fixes this, but as you say has a disadvantage on the f-stop.

The other problem (at least it's mentioned in some reviews, overlooked in others) is that burst mode seems significantly slower on the 5200. I've used this in the past to take a sequence of 3-5 photos when serving, and typically got 1-2 decent ones from the bunch. Perhaps that's a way of compensating for the photographer rather than a proper way to do things though!
SantoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:03 AM   #14

Hi SantoW,

IMHO, for your type of tennis shooting,a big advantage of 9MP is that you have only one oportunity to shoot a given moment. You might as well get as much subject pixels as possible. In addition 9MP enables you to shoot a wider shot giving your subjects more room to move in your viewfinder and then you can crop your image to get a closer look. This does not work as well with 5MP.

In addition, did you see the S9000 at 600mm digital zoom?

I posted some test shots. Please check them out under 'posts' in my profile. Others have also posted these type of shots.

Hope this helps your research for a camera.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:31 AM   #15

SantoW wrote:
Quote:
I understand that the camera is unable to freeze the subject... it's not so much action shots I take, but I do find that when the players are in serving positions they are stationary enough for some decent shots..

I assume the S5200 is what is known as the S5600 in the UK. The one reservation I have from the review of that is the zoom seems to be controlled from buttons rather than a mechanical zoom, which from the reviews I've read seems to be preferable. The S9500 fixes this, but as you say has a disadvantage on the f-stop.

The other problem (at least it's mentioned in some reviews, overlooked in others) is that burst mode seems significantly slower on the 5200. I've used this in the past to take a sequence of 3-5 photos when serving, and typically got 1-2 decent ones from the bunch. Perhaps that's a way of compensating for the photographer rather than a proper way to do things though!
Your concern is well-founded, the S5200 burst mode is not that slow, but it only does 3-frame burst, I find a 5-frame burst more preferable. Off the top of my head, I think the S9500 can do 4-frame burst. Another problem with shooting in burst mode is that you have to wait around 4-seconds for the camera to write the files to memory card before shooting again.

The S5200 does provide something very similar to unlimited continous mode . You can take unlimited pictures at 1.3fps using manual focus and by pressing the shutter button yourself. Or if you can live with the limitation of full-auto mode, there is alos a 40-frame continous mode at .9 fps.

curtis
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:48 AM   #16

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi SantoW,

IMHO, for your type of tennis shooting,a big advantage of 9MP is that you have only one oportunity to shoot a given moment. You might as well get as much subject pixels as possible. In addition 9MP enables you to shoot a wider shot giving your subjects more room to move in your viewfinder and then you can crop your image to get a closer look. This does not work as well with 5MP.

In addition, did you see the S9000 at 600mm digital zoom?

I posted some test shots. Please check them out under 'posts' in my profile. Others have also posted these type of shots.

Hope this helps your research for a camera.

Regards, Nicholas

Hi Nick,

I found your gallery, is the 600mm image a 100% crop? Thanks.

I've also tried using digital zoom at a concert I attended, because I was sitting so far away. The results are mixed, I can squeeze a usable picture up to around 17x equivalent, that would be around 650mm, of course, I was shooting at iso400 and 800 in normal jpeg quality setting, so that is not the most optimal setting to try digital zoom on.

Here's my gallery:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album30

I've labeled the pictures that uses digital zoom and calculated their 35mm equivalent.

Here's two that I had the most success with:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...mp;id=DSCF5018

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...mp;id=DSCF5064

curtis

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:09 AM   #17

the 9000/9500 DOES NOT HAVE TRUE I.S.

what it does is boost shutter speed and/or iso

if you shoot 'sports mode' at a high iso it would do the same thing

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:43 AM   #18

I had a small camera without IS and couldn't take a clear picture(not a surgeons hands here) so I returned it and got one with IS and love it even though I don't always use it. May have just been that the other camera was too small?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:30 PM   #19

The 600mm digital zoom does look very impressive..

It may come down to the fact I can get the S9500 for about £80 less tax-free at the airport, where they don't stock the FZ30, but I think I'll head to the local camera shop and try them both first..

Thanks for all the advice. It's been very useful. The 9MP would be a key factor in allowing the kind of digital zoom you indicate I imagine.

I suspect whichever camera I go for, the quirks of it will fairly quickly become apparant.

curtis: You say you would give the FZ30 an edge over the S5200 and the S9500 -- would you still say that given the expansions i've made on what I shoot?

Regards,

~S
SantoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:45 PM   #20

Yes, I would still give the FZ30 an edge, especially if you shoot Tennis matches.The FZ30 has a much better burst and continous shooting mode than both the S5200 and S9500, the specs should be available in any website. Try dreview.com as well as dcresource.comcurtis