Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:56 AM   #1

I know the theoretical answer, and that most people who have it wouldn't do without it... I'm considering the S9500 (UK) vs the 5600 and 7000, as well as the Panny FZ30. I've never had a camera with I.S. but I'm not sure how big an issue it is. I''m not going to be carrying a tripod around with me everywhere, so I guess I'm wondering how prone the Finepix cameras are to camera shake..
SantoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:02 AM   #2

Any slight shaking of hand will very much effect the image taken. Consider this, the camera is very sensitive because of high resolution (9 MP). But practice practice and you will get use to this heavy camera.
hazarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:23 AM   #3

The issue of IS has become an almost'political' issue.

Some facts that are indisputable:

When photogs write about IS, ( Pro or Con ),they rarely consider the type of subject ( moving or stationary ).

They also rarely discuss if IS creates a longer shutterlag.

Whatever you decide remember at a Prosumer's tele end the f-stops are smaller and there is less light available for the sensor.With less light, at the tele end, noise levels become a real issue for cameras with or without IS.

For Prosumers in the price range of the S9000 and FZ30, the S9000 leaves the others in the dust regarding noise ( see reputable reviews ).

These are my opinions, and please note that I have an S9000.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4

"When the Finepix S9000 is set to the Anti-Blur mode, the camera will select a faster shutter speed to reduce camera shake and moving subject blur. This mode will assist you in obtaining sharper images. Make sure that the focus setting is on single autofocus. You can also attempt to reset the camera in the set up to try to resolve any bugs that the camera may have."

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5

Stabilization will give you better images of still subjects but high ISO is superior for action in available light. I personally have a preference for the FZ30 over the S9000/9500, but I don't shoot a lot of action in limited light. If I regularly photographed indoor sports, concerts etc I would go for the Fuji if I didn't want to mess with raw.

The S9000/9500 has a very noisy sensor. Fuji is evidently putting good in-camera noise reduction in the camera. But if you shoot raw where the camera doesn't process the noise, images are very noisy. Dpreview suggests you might want to apply noise reduction to even ISO 80 shots taken in raw with the S9000.

The Fuji raw converter applies their noise reduction to images. But it isn't a very practical converter. The new beta for CS2 camera raw lets you process Fuji raw images in Photoshop. Someone pointed out on another thread that the nature of the Fuji noise is such that the Noise Ninja or Neat Image plug-ins would have problems with it. I imported a JPG converted from raw into Photoshop and found that to be true. I would think it would have the same problems processing in raw but I don't know.

Raw isn't a very practical format in the S9000 in any case because of the cycle times. My old D7i had about the same raw cycle times as the S9000 and I found myself missing so many shots that I didn't use it very much even though I really like raw. The FZ30 cycles raw shots fairly quickly and there is no buffer to fill with the Venus engine. One of my reasons for preferring the FZ30 over the S9000 would be that it is one of the few non-DSLR cameras that make raw practical for most use.

The S9000/9500 doesn't have the high ISO with good noise that the F10/11 does. Even so it has better high ISO noise if you extract as JPG and don't want to mess with raw and noise reduction. I would prefer to shoot raw with the FZ30 and apply my own noise reduction.

Stabilization on the FZ30 is superior to high ISO on the S9000 for handheld shots at full zoom of non-moving targets. The same shot you can take at ISO 100 with stabilization would require ISO 800 on the Fuji. The S9000 isn't too good at ISO 800.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6

Apart from many other great features, I bought the S9500 for it's great focal range.
28mm to 300mm. Most other superzoom cameras of this type start at only 35mm.
I liked that it used AA batteries. Cheap, I have lots of spares.
Great low light capability. A stabilized/low speed lens won't do with kids moving around
the house.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:01 PM   #7

Santo,

DPreview's comments about noise and the FZ30:

"Examination of ISO 80 RAW files shows the Panasonic chip to be inherently fairly noisy, which may explain the slight lack of 'crispness' seen in FZ30 images, due to noise reduction blurring detail. ISO 200 and 400 are noisy, and the noise reduction has a visible detrimental effect on images viewed at 100%, especially at ISO 400, which is hardly usable for anything except small prints. Note that noise - especially chroma noise (colored blotches in darker areas) gets progressively worse as light levels drop and shutter speeds increase. "

When you are at the tele end with a small aperture IS is not the important issue.

Hope you research your camera purchase successfully.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:31 PM   #8

At wide angle, I.S. will not make too much of an impact, you can hold a camera steady and take blur free shot down to around 1/20s, anything lower than that, you would need I.S. or up the iso.

At telephoto end, if you do not have a tripod, a chair or any other means to support yourself, I.S. is a must. However, I.S. can only compensate for around 2-fstop, so please keep that in mind as it does not work miracles either.

If you don't like to lug around a tripod, I would choose the Panasonic FZ30 over the S9500, the FZ30 has a faster lens, especially at the telephoto end.

As others have mentioned, the S9500 is noisy, but iso800 is still better than iso400 from the FZ30, however, iso1600 is not very usable. So at wide angle, the S9500 still have a 1-stop advantage over the FZ30, but at the telephoto end, they are about even. But definitely the edge goes to FZ30 because it has I.S. lens as well.

If you do not want to shell out $500, do check out the S5600 for $200 less. I've done extensive tests on this camera and it's in my opinion the best bang for the buck ultrazoom out there:

You can check out some samples (most available in full-res) from my test gallery and see if the quality is good enough for you:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album11

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...m30&page=5

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album26

curtis

Quote:
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:18 PM   #9

Personally, I think this debate over which camera has the least or the most amount of noise has been beaten to death. Everyone seems to be arguing over something that is to so easily correctable in either camera that it is pointless to keep talking about it. If you want image stabilization, if that is critical to your shooting style, then get a camera that has it. In my opinion, Fuji still has a credibility problem with the public and many of the reviewers. I recently saw a CNet video review online of the 9000. The reviewer said that it was a pretty good camera but that the autofocus was nearly deafening. Then she sort of pushed the camera off as some sort of an afterthought. I think if anyone considers the features of any camera and then purchases one that has the features that they want, then they will be able to get the kind of pictures they are looking for. The brand or the model really doesn't matter. IN MY OPINION.

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:20 PM   #10

Price isn't really the issue, more future-proofing, I want something I can learn with and will last 3-4 years, at which time I'm hoping that the DSLR market will have a few more competitors and the obvious advancements..

Still a bit stuck in this one, I usually do quite a bit of shooting at tennis events, which are generally natural light, but limited inside a stadium, I'll do a few interior family shots, but the majority will be outside..

I understand the high ISO v IS argument, what I was thinking is that the noise on the FZ30 may be a price worth paying for IS, given it can more easily be solved afterwards (can remove noise, can't re-take picture if it's slightly blurred)..

I guess your argument for the 5200 over the 9500 is price? There's nothing the older one has the newer one doesn't?

Thanks for your help
SantoW is offline   Reply With Quote