Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:01 AM   #1

I just purchased a s7000 and whenever I turn the camera on, the camera shake warning sign appears. When I pop up the flash, it disappears. Is this normal ????

Would anyone reccommend a great point n shoot camera with a hot shoe. I don't think I want the s7000
Garland417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:34 PM   #2

Whenever you turn on the camera, particularly if the lens cap is on, the metering system is going to try to compensate but there isn't any light so the shutter speed is lowered to try to produce an acceptable picture. As soon as you activate the flash camera shake is much less an issue because the flash will help freeze action. So that is why the hand disappears. I cannot make any recommendation of a camera for you. All of the P&S cameras I am aware of did not have a hot shoe.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:34 PM   #3

Whenever you turn on the camera, particularly if the lens cap is on, the metering system is going to try to compensate but there isn't any light so the shutter speed is lowered to try to produce an acceptable picture. As soon as you activate the flash camera shake is much less an issue because the flash will help freeze action. So that is why the hand disappears. I cannot make any recommendation of a camera for you. All of the P&S cameras I am aware of do not have a hot shoe.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

Sorry for the double post.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:34 PM   #5

Garland417 wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a s7000 and whenever I turn the camera on, the camera shake warning sign appears. When I pop up the flash, it disappears. Is this normal ????

Would anyone reccommend a great point n shoot camera with a hot shoe. I don't think I want the s7000

I have not found problems with camera shake with my S7000 in two years of use, while the warning does come on often, most of my pics do not show camera shake. It is a warning that camera shake is possible, good technique and proper settings can alleviate any problem. Sorry you have decided against the S7000, it is really a wonderful, capable camera. Good luck on finding a P&S with a hotshoe and on finding a camera that works for YOUR needs/desires.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:21 PM   #6

imo:

the next step up from the s7000 is a dslr

i own a s7000 and a KM 7D

BOTH are great cameras ideally suited for their purpose(s)

(the little hand is only a WARNING of POSSIBLE shake, it does not mean the shot will be bad)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7

I get the same little hand with myFuji E550, fine pix 2800z and the s9000 itjust lets me know I need to change my setting or use the flash to take the shot. Better yet togo get the tripod out. I have written this before and I even have to remind myself sometimes, read the manual from cover to cover. Each of the cameras I have the manual got thicker and thicker.

Enjoy the camera,

Kevin
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:24 PM   #8

It is normal, Fuji displays that symbol anytime the user would have to take extra care to hold the camera steady because the light is less than optimal, or the flash is off. It really is not of much use, as you can just look at the shutter speed it is going to use to determine how careful you need to be conserning camera shake. I agree with Clyde, the S7000 is a very nice, well balanced camera. My main issue with it is lack of ISO choices both low and high. It has always apeared on Fuji cameras, from my 2650, to my E550, and my F10 I use now.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #9

Thanks, Everyones advice has been truly helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Garland417 is offline   Reply With Quote