Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1

My daughter has developed quite an interest in cake decorating. Yesterday we decided to do a little experiment to see if it would be possible to get some decent pictures of some of her cake decorating trials. I was interested to see just how accurate the natural light mode would be as far as colors concerned. And she wanted some pictures of her cakes. This first one was taken in natural light mode, ISO 400. I wish I had used a white card on the shadow side to soften the shadows a bit. Maybe next time.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

Macro mode, ISO 100, flash fired. Haven't used the macro setting very much, and it shows. But the color rendered quite well.

Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3

Natural light mode, ISO 400. The color came through very well. But my attempt at using the mirror left a bit to be desired. But I thought the S9000 performed quite well in this little experiment. I just need to learn what I'm doing.
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:39 PM   #4

Well I'm amazed, after reading posts from so many disgruntled users I always expect S9x00 pics to be terrible, bad color, too soft, not enough contrast, etc. <VBG>!! I like the colors in these shots, they look quite clear and sharp on my monitor, and I assume that they would print nicely. Good job.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:54 PM   #5

So far, I have only printed 4x6 images of these that we did yesterday. But they are really quite nice. I have printed a few 8x10's from other shoots and I have been very pleased with them.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:30 PM   #6

Many of those have been critical of the S9000 have complained about how soft the images are. I am posting this image because of the color, but additionally to illustrate that the camera is capable of showing even the subtle texture of the wall. You can see it particularly in the lower right hand corner. I don't care what the critics say, this camera does everything that I need it to do. I like it!
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:07 AM   #7

Really nice results JP which demonstrate well what the camera is capable of - hope nobody is going to even think about eating those cakes.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:31 AM   #8

Beautiful shots and beautiful cake decorations JP. I took some in Natural light mode like this of my daughters Birthday cake with no other light than the candles burning. Good results too. I am getting some nice results with my S9500.

Keep posting JP ~ always a real pleasure to look at.

Those cakes look fantastic, they really do.

Regards,

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #9

OK, I realize this is not anything spectacular. But I just kind of like this one. I can't wait until summer because I want to head for the Tetons with my camera. This one is just up the canyon from my work.
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:35 PM   #10

jphess

I am glad to hear that the camera is working out well for you, feature wise it is a great camera with excellent image quality. As an owner of a Fuji S7000 and a Pentax dslr I can say that the S7000 is a fantastic camera, and the S9000 has addressed my only complaint with that camera, the extending power zoom.

I think most of the complaints about the S9000 are still coming from people who expect too much. With every step up I have taken in digital cameras my initial response has been that I may have wasted my money. These cameras are so feature filled that it is impossible to judge them fairly on first impressions. When I got the S7000 it didn't seem to give me the great images I was getting with my Pentax Optio 33L 3MP p&s compact, then I learned how to use it and the results are fantastic. My first day with the Pentax *istDL was the same, then I learned to make a few minor tweaks to the settings and the results are marvelous.

BTW jphess, make sure you take a tripod to the mountains for those moodly low light shots. And as an aside, it takes three of my Pentax lenses to cover the focal lengths that your Fuji does with one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote