Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:06 AM   #1

I just received the F10 and I am excited to use it as my point and shoot cam (I also have the Panasonic FZ30 as my main cam). I loved all the review and I am happy with what I have seen so far since I received it. It is smaller than I thought, very sturdy built and the flass assist beam is amazingly strong, guaranteeing spot-on autofocus even in complete darkness. However, is it just me, or does the flash tend to underexpose? And there seems to be no way to adjust the flash exposure, correct? And does anyone know if this has been fixed in the F11? See below for an example of a flash shot. Way too dark.....

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

Like you, I decided I needed a small low light camera to go along with my FZ15. I ordered the F11 Monday and can't wait to try it out at my two granddaughters basketball games. Maybe we can get together and work up some comparison test between the two cameras. Hoping the camera will do the trick in low light situations.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:10 PM   #3

Yes, I'd like to know if this issue has been handled in the F11. The F10 definitely tends to underexpose with its flash, andit cannot be adjusted. It does not respond to the exposure adjustment. Dave at imaging-resource.com pointed this also out as the only flaw of this camera (other than the missing shutter and aperture priorities, and flimsy battery door, of course). Let me know about your experiences with the F11 and I might trade up.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:40 PM   #4

Try going to http://www.dpreview.com/They have a very active Fujofilm forum and a lot of folks using the F10 & F11. It seems that the F11 has several advantages over the F10.

Don
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:16 PM   #5

Thanks, the forums on dpreview are definitely addressing the subject. Seems like the solution is to beef up the ISO on flash shots over6 ft or so. Ideally there will be a firmware update. I still don't know if the issue is improved on the F11.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:30 PM   #6

Actually, one of my complaints with a lot of flash pictures is that the flash washes out the shadows and makes things look unnatural. I think I would rather have the picture a little underexposed and then be able to fix it later.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:33 PM   #7

Understood. Thanks. Yes I have been using PP to correct the images, and it's better to work with underexposed images than overexposed. Ideally, however, the camera gets it just right.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:39 PM   #8

That's why I decided on the F11. It looks like both the F10 and F11 do great indoors without a flash. I don't like photos nearlly as much when a flash is used. The atmospherein the photo youare trying to catch is gone.

Don
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:46 PM   #9

Whereare you gettingyour F11 and for how much? I saw a listing on ebay where they were selling them from Japan for $350 or so. However, if the flash issue has not been addressed, I don't see the need to upgrade. The image quality and natural light ability seems to be the same for both. And I always have my FZ30 for more professional shots, including using a bounce flash.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:21 PM   #10

You have to hold the camera more steady, but try slow synchro flash. It leaves the shutter open longer, but going down to 1/15th of a second as it does can be hard to hand hold, and some of your pictures will be blurry unless you up the ISO to compensate. I wish the standard flash would slow to 1/60th seconed instead of the 1/100th of a second the F10 chooses. Shutter priority would be great so you could use 1/40th of a second with the slow syncro.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote