Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:07 PM   #1

Any news about Fuji's reaction to Flash behaviour problems?

I mean thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...31&forum_id=16
antysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

I just ran mine through the different modes and saw no problems whatsoever. Obviously each mode has its time and place. Otherwise they wouldn't be there.
Gillesgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:43 PM   #3

In addition to all that has been said...

If to compare two indor-dim-light pictures for exposure

1) Program mode:
Shutter sp.=1/60
A=2.8
internal flash used
Wide angle

2) Sutter priority (or Manual) mode
Shutter sp.=1/60
A=2.8
Internal flash used
Wide angle

The second was UNDEREXPOSED definately

Flash energy really seems to be reason of that difference.

X7497 wrote:
Quote:
In "AUTO" modes it always fires at maximum power , while in S/A/M modes it uses "flash power" setting, which is "nornal" by default.

Just icrease the flash output level to the max. - the result will be identical to Auto/P modes...
Actually not.
First. Increasing flash output in the menu to it's max. level makes no identical result. Please, dont misinform people with your words, try to experiment first.

Second. In AUTO/PROGRAM mode flash's power is not constant nor maximum.
It deviates automatically depending on shooting conditions. And that is proved - please see below.

Monkeybloke wrote:
Quote:
Sorry x7497, but I can't agree with that. I've just checked the output of my flash with a flashmeter and it's identical in all modes. The flash output does not reduce in S mode.
Thank you a lot for revealing all of you find and inputed here.
But now your point seems not correct. I dont know why/how your Flashmeter is wrong. I explain why I think so.

Please take 1) shoot (PROGRAM mode). Right after shoot is done, start to count how many times the orange light will blink (lamp at the right side in rare of the camera)

Then take 2) shoot (MANUAL or S mode). You will notice orange light will blink obviously less times then in the first case.
That is simple - the quantity of lamp blinking is in direct ratio of internal Flash energy used in the shoot (recharging of the flash takes the more time if the more power of flash were used).

So it's easy to see that in MANUAL mode flash's power was less then in PROGRAM mode with all other equal conditions. Even if we set flash output to maximum for shooting in MANUAL mode.

Counting those blinks of the orange light you always may know how much power flash used in last shoot.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:56 PM   #4

I found that changing the metering or photometry setting solves this problem. Both 'spot' and 'multi' settings produced underexposed images when using flash in 'S' mode, 'average' didn't.Leaving the camera in it's default photometry setting ('multi')might be what's causing this issue.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5

I already reported this bug to Fuji Support a couple months ago, they said they will fix this on the next firmware update.

link of test I did:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album07

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:29 PM   #6

Thank you curtis

I had no possibility to use your link since I tryed it in Opera:roll:

Thanks for your info very much
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:43 PM   #7

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
* I found that changing the metering or photometry setting solves this problem. Both 'spot' and 'multi' settings produced underexposed images when using flash in 'S' mode, 'average' didn't.*Leaving the camera in it's default photometry setting ('multi')*might be what's causing this issue.
Yes, I agree that with Average metering there is more exposed images came out. But very exact tests reveal that problem can not be solved complitely using Average mode.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:26 AM   #8

I would like to revisit this topic after some disappointing photos taken with the S9000 in automatic mode with flash. They were severly underexposed even though the subjects were only a few feet away. Afterward I did some testing and find that even with the flash set to Burst mode (maximum power, no auto) the shots came out underexposed unless I was at ISO 200 or above. I tried all the different modes (Auto, Programmed, Shuuter/Aperture priority and Manual) and all were underexposed at ISO 80 and 100.

Do I have a weak flash or are others observing the same problem.

I can do some more detailed tests and post some results if anyone is interested.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:51 AM   #9

After reading this thread, I decided to shoot a series of test shots on my S9000 using the onboard and my Sunpak 422D for comparison.

I chose two different "Models" at two different distances. One was a seldom usedexercise unit with assorted previously worn clothing articlesdraped over it at a distance of 6 feet. The other was an IBM computer on a very cluttered desk at a distance of 12 feet.

All test photos were done in low res at ISO 80. I shot a photo of both "models" in "Auto" and "Program" with the onboard flash and repeated with the Sunpak. I then shot a photo of both "models" in "manual" mode 1/400 @ f4.5 with the Sunpak.

I checked the Histogramsin photoshop and all six photos were about a1/2stop under exposed so no hotspots or blown whites. The results, though not pretty were where I would like them to be. I do wish Fuji would have given us a good fill flash mode in the "manual" shooting mode for flexibility.

honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote