Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:06 PM   #1

Hello All,

Promised update on my Fuji S9000's broken Command dial:

About a week after I dropped off my S9000 to the authorized repair center ( which told me they must ship my camera to Fuji N.J. for repair ), I received a call from the authorized repair center. The manager informed me the dial repair will cost me $74 to fix as Fuji would not honor the repair.

I immediately visited the authorized repair center and re-stated my case to the manager. He listened to me and calmly said sit down he will call Fuji.

He returned in 5 minutes and asked me to wait for 10 minutes as he is having the Fuji Rep look over my camera.

The manager returned in 10 minutes and said the Fuji Rep "examined your camera and found there was not even a mark or scratch, he found it to be in new condition, not abused, and therefore Fuji will fix the dial under warranty."

I called the authorized repair service on Tuesday, they said it would arrive on Wednesday, I was able to pick it up today.

When I turned the command Dial it 'clicked' from one position notch to the next, the dial's resistance is firmer than it was since I first used my S9000 until the dial fell off.

The feel of my S9000 and my knowing what I can do with it as opposed to my heavy D60 and almost as heavy F828, makes me very happy that I bought the S9000.

I hope my reporting my story on this issue was helpful to some of you.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:57 PM   #2

Good to hear you are back in business Nick...I'm taking the 9000 to the Motorcross track this Saturday, should be fun!
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:46 PM   #3

Excellent news Nicholas.

regards,

Sel ..... :-)
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

Very good news Nicholas !! I have been a Fuji S9000 owner since ... yesterday. I find the pictures to be very sharp and detailed and if the very few that were not, were my fault for not "heeding" the slow shutter warning in the viewfinder. I've noticed that my command dial 'clicks' as you describe and it has good resistance.

I experimented tonight with a couple of flash units I have that have a "thristor" circuity (smart flash) and they work very well. I also noticed and passing along that if you select "external flash" from the menu you can still use the pop up flash with no external flash attached. Just a note.

Pretty amazing little camera. I come from photography since around 1964 and at present have 2 view cameras, and 2- 6X7 Medium format cameras as well as back both Polaroid and roll film. Would be intersting if they ever made a "graflock" back for medium and large format cameras. You would get the advantage of swings and tilts that you have on a view camera. It would take a camera of 500 megapixel to approximate the 4X5 film, so it may not be a thing to happen soon. Never say never!

btw.. how do I change the background from black to some other color for reading and typing??

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:55 AM   #5

Nicholas,

Glad to hear Fuji took care of you and you've finally gotten your camera back.

Just out of curiosity, since you apparently can feel a difference in your new command dial, do you think that maybe those two little plastic bumps on the underside of the dial may have been missing since the day you purchased your camera?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:38 AM   #6

Hello All,

Thanks for your responses.

Vern,

You can change the background color using the menu.

Hun,

I beieve it was an improperly formedspindel of the dial. Something quality control could not catch.

To All,

I shot a Lunar New Year parade yesterday with my S9000. I will have it posted tonight. All shots will be straight out of the camera with no PP.

I also have a new carry bag set up for my S9000 just to insure nothing can affect my S9000 while being carried. I will also post a few pics of it later today.

Thanks again.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:18 AM   #7

Nicholas,

Great news!

Glad you and your camera are reunited again. And a new case to protect it.

Fantastico!

Have you given your camera a name? I call mine Kylie!

Regards,

Syd
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:45 PM   #8

Hi Syd & All,

Perhaps I should call it 'sidekick', as recently a friend saw me without my camera and asked 'Where is your sidekick'. I didn't understand him until he said he was referring to my ever present camera.

That will be it, 'Sidekick'.

( Of course I can't let my un-named F-828, D30, D60 and Mamiya 645 know ).

Regards, Nicholas
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:59 AM   #9

Looking forward to seeing those pics, especially of the new bag. Does it have lots of pockets?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:07 AM   #10

Hey Nick, glad to see your life is back to normal - new command dial and all. Was also going to ask after the Lunar new year pics, sans PP, which I've beenlooking forward to seeing.

Think Syd might have a handbag fetish:G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote