Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:59 PM   #11

There was a debate here once about the preferred way to clean a lens (as opposed to repair one). Although this is an unfortunate thing to happen, there are lessons coming out.

1. Perhaps in really dusty situations, a camel hair blower brush is the only thing suitable (or can of compressed air?).

2. Perhaps there are locations and times when it's best NOT to clean a lens.

3. Re-usable lens cloths are a no-no - 'cos there is always a risk of trapping hard grit.

4. Use-once lens tissue in sealed bag comes second to the blower, but still might be a risk once hard grit is on the lens - so blow first, check lense surface, then only use tissue to remove surface marks.

Plastic coated lenses are fine if there is a hard protective coating - but when this gets broken through - you're stuffed. Have any real glass lens owners damaged their lenses to this extent I wonder? I've just looked at some of my slr lenses after many years and they are as clean as when new.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 3:27 PM   #12

sorry it may have to end this way

voxmagna- sorry about going off like that. i tend to get a little tense obout lenses and the glass they are made frome
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 3:49 PM   #13

OK fine,
Quote:
i tend to get a little tense obout lenses and the glass they are made frome
Most of us treat our camera lenses with so much respect, we probably never push their ruggedness to it's limit. So what is interesting, although with unfortunate consequences, is the current trend to use plastic lenses in digicams.

How does this lens and it's coating compare to traditional glass lenses? If my camera lens is going to wear out from normal cleaning after a few years I'd be the first to campaign for an improvement in quality.

I've seen the comparative light transmission and refraction figures for glass and plastic spectacle lenses. Yes they look pretty close. But when the plastic lenses have been used a while, they lack sparkle, which always returns to a glass lens after cleaning. So the spectacle suppliers now offer coated lenses to reduce (but not eliminate surface scratching).

Perhaps we need a Brenell surface hardness test for camera lenses!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 4:51 PM   #14

Any ideas what type of Lenses Fuji use, eg: platic or glass>

My 602 seems quite resiliant.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:40 PM   #15

most mfgrs use a minimum glass front lens for quality and increased durability.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:22 PM   #16

What kind of lens does the Fuji A210 has? Glass or plastic? I know a person who has one of these and seems to havethe lens surface foggy due improper cleaning. I don't have the camera with me to see the extent of the damage but I have seen some pictures and they are terribly foggy.:sad: I want to know if CD polish (the kind used for removing surface scratches from CDs) could be used to at least try to rescue this camera which is not yet a year old. I know the coating will be gone for good. According to what has been described to me, the lens does not look scratched, just foggy on the outer surface.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 3:37 AM   #17

OK....Here I am chiming in at least ayear after the stated lens scratchingincident took place.....and I still haven't found out if Ed was able to repair the lens or ended up retiring his camera.

My Fuji 602s has a small scratch and I am preparing for the worst.

Please advise !!!

Bill
ba1959nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:10 PM   #18

The lens of my Fuji A210 has become scratched and is now making pictures with fuzzy areas. So I need to replace the lens. I took the front assembly off that holds the lens in place and it would be VERY simple to install a new lens.

My question is, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a new lens (it's just a little piece of plastic - groud to exact optical specs)?

Or does anyone know of a repair location that would charge an honest fee for this simple 10 minute procedure? (I received a $95 + shippingestimate from CameraRepairJapan in Georgia, which seems beyond ridiculous and borders on criminal!)

But what I really want is a place to buy the part?

Thanks!

SciFiArtMan -Houston, Texas

SciFiArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote