Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:19 AM   #1

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best settings to use in Photoshop's usm to produce the best quality prints, 8x10 or larger would be. Without producing any halos. All settings in the camera are set to normal, such as sharpness, contrast and saturation. And also when they say to veiw the picture at 100% when doing your work does that mean the actual pixels or the actual size, say a 8x10?
cdmo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2

The last time this question came up there was so many different answers that I hesitate to give you any numbers. But start with a very low threshold and radius with a high percentage. Make adjustments as you find it necessary. When viewing at 100 percent, to me that always means looking at the actual pixels view. If you can find a suitable setting at that level then it will probably look all right when it's printed.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3

Start with radius 3, threshold 0 and amount 40 for a 9Mp image. Those are very conservative. I start with a lower radius for smaller images or larger prints.

If you want some good insights into more sophisticated sharpening download gmitchel's sharpening actions and read the PDF manual that comes with it: http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...ingToolkit.htm You can also click on the learning galleries at the top of the page.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:20 PM   #4

I can tell I haven't been keeping up to date. I downloaded a beta version of the TLR Sharpening scripts that were available several months ago, but haven't been checking back. These new actions are really nice. Thanks for the link.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

cdmo74 wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best settings to use in Photoshop's usm to produce the best quality prints, 8x10 or larger would be. Without producing any halos. All settings in the camera are set to normal, such as sharpness, contrast and saturation. And also when they say to veiw the picture at 100% when doing your work does that mean the actual pixels or the actual size, say a 8x10?
Do yourself a favour and try Qimage for your printing.
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
It does everything for you. You pick the photo and the size you want to print. It sets the resolution for the printer, sharpens and prints. Plus hundreds of other options.
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/feature.htm

Sel ........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:13 AM   #6

Here is what I use:

Photoshop Elements 4.0:

Unsharp Mask:

Amount: 10, or 20, or 30, or 40

Radius: 10, or 20

Threshold: 0 (zero)

This gives me 8 possible settings ( based on my 6 settings above, 4x2=8.

I pick the best result of the image seen at 100%, and then view the image print size.

I create a duplicate image to avoid damaging the original by an accidental save.

I limit myself to the above settings to simplify the process.

Hope this helps some.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote