Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:21 PM   #1

Hi,

Is there an ICC profile for Fujifilm FinePix E900 anywhere? Just today I got my camera and took the first shots

I then successfully transferred and converted some raw pictures with dcraw using command lines like:
"dcraw -v -w dscf0011.raf"
Or to get some noise suppression:
"dcraw -v -w -B 1 4 dscf0011.raf"
(dcraw is available at http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)

Very impressive! Now I'd like to include a color profile for the conversion but I cannot find them anywhere:
A web search turned up useless results only and the CD Rom does not contain any files ending with ".icc" or ".icm". Are the color profiles secret?

Greetings,
Frieder
just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of raw image processing. One of the features of working with raw images is that the camera does no processing of the image whatsoever. The camera simply records the pixels; no JPEG sharpening; no saturation adjustments; just a simple recording of the pixels. Then, you need a raw processor that will allow you to open the image and make adjustments to it. There are some scripts around that can be used with Adobe Camera Raw to calibrate your camera. It uses a raw image of a specific color chart taken by your camera to determine the settings that should be used for your camera. Then the raw converter allows you to set those settings as the default settings, or sort of a profile that can be loaded. So it's possible to have several different profiles for a single camera that adjust for different kinds of lighting.

So, you see, it isn't just a matter of finding a ready-made profile for your camera. You need the right kind of software, and then you need to take the time to calibrate everything for your camera. I don't know if this answer your question or not.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:40 PM   #3

Hi Jphess,

thank you for the welcome!)

> Then, you need a raw processor that will ...

I'll go for cdraw for the conversion. It's a pretty bare-bone command line tool which does the conversion and offers to include ICC files for both input and output devices.
As I've seen just now it additionally seems to (optionally) care for the white balance included in the raw files. I'm appending some output below.

> There are some scripts around that can be used with Adobe Camera Raw to calibrate your camera.

Hugh - as a matter of availability and cost Adobe tools cannot help me.
Cdraw and its descendants are probably my only options.

> So, you see, it isn't just a matter of finding a ready-made profile for your camera.

Maybe I (as a hobbyist) can get away with the white balance data within the raw files and/or some generic ICC files. For the E900 (as extracted with cdraw) the built-in white balance factors seem to be:

"fine" Camera multipliers: 515.000000 320.000000 415.000000
"shade" Camera multipliers: 546.000000 320.000000 372.000000
"fluorescend 1" Camera multipliers: 719.000000 368.000000 431.000000
"fluorescend 2" Camera multipliers: 623.000000 368.000000 523.000000
"fluorescend 3" Camera multipliers: 585.000000 368.000000 636.000000
"incandescend "Camera multipliers: 478.000000 452.000000 943.000000

Maybe ICC files for the E900 and these illuminations will be available sometime somewhere. I have neither the color chart nor the tools...

Thanks,
Frieder

In the hope someone might find this useful, the informational output of dcraw:

[email protected]:/tmp> dcraw -i -v dscf0047.raf

Filename: dscf0047.raf
Timestamp: Wed Feb 1 22:17:22 2006
Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix E900
ISO speed: 200
Shutter: 1/4.0 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 7 mm
Embedded ICC profile: no
Decodable with dcraw: yes
Thumb size: 1600 x 1200
Full size: 2512 x 3688
Image size: 4292 x 4291
Output size: 3460 x 2607
Raw colors: 3
Filter pattern: GBRGGBRGGBRGGBRG
Daylight multipliers: 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
Camera multipliers: 515.000000 320.000000 415.000000
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:59 PM   #4

I don't know what you consider as being too expensive, but you can purchase Photoshop Elements for around $80, and then Adobe Camera Raw is just a free download to keep you current as far as what cameras are supported. Your E900 was one of the cameras for which support was added in the most recent release of Camera Raw. I don't know what you might have for editing your images, but Photoshop Elements is a pretty good choice for a "hobbyist".
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:14 PM   #5

In fact, have you seen ICC profiles for any digital camera? I follow the Adobe forum for Camera Raw, and there has never been a discussion about camera ICC profiles. The biggest problem with any raw converter is waiting for the software developer to release a version that supports a new digital camera. It seems that every camera manufacturer develops their own raw format that isn't even consistent from one model the next.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:26 PM   #6

> but you can purchase Photoshop Elements for around $80, and then Adobe Camera Raw is just a free download

Thank you for the pointers, I had given up checking for Adobe stuff as these tools only seem to run on Windows or MacOS.
I do not run one of these so the price tag looks different to me: About 100$ (80 Euro) for some small Windows version, 70$ for another harddisk to hold Windows (I do not trust Windows to keep my other partitions and the bootloader untouched), 20$ a year for firewall/antivirus stuff, the time for installation, getting the drivers, system updates and the time lost for dual boot stuff - not an option for me.

> The biggest problem with any raw converter is waiting for the software developer to release a version that supports a new digital camera.

OK fine: then the low level stuff seems to be solved as I can interface to the camera and convert the pictures

I seem to have some misconception about the need of camera ICC profiles though - probably I should digg into some book/FAQ

Thank you for your tips!
Greetings,
Frieder
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7

You seem to be more than just slightly annoyed by any answer I try to provide. You are obviously much further advanced in your knowledge of computers and file systems. I have no other suggestions for you. Good luck. And, yes, you would do yourself a big favor if you did some reading about raw photography. Then, perhaps you would understand what it is that you need to do.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:31 PM   #8

Since you're on linux, I would highly suggest using the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) in combination with a plugin such as UFRaw (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/).

There are other similar plugins, but UFRaw is the leader, as far as open source raw conversion goes.

You could also try another GIMP plugin: RougePhoto (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe...Linux.html#raw) and/or the RawPhoto plugin (http://ptj.rozeta.com.pl/Soft/RawPhoto).

As for the S9000/s9500 ICC profile...I haven't seen one, but perhaps Fuji camera owners could ask Fuji to supply one.

david
earthsound is offline   Reply With Quote