Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:02 AM   #11

As the original poster I should update my initial findings. In my "irrational exhuberance" with my newly purchased camera, I was confusing the time for an image to reappear in the viewfinder with the actual time to write a raw file. After taking some pics on a tripod, I noticed the yellow light flashing on the upper right back of the camera and found I was unable to take another pic until it turned green (Doh:?). In actuality it takes about 10 or 11 seconds to write to a CF card and only marginally faster with a type M xD card. Sorry about the misunderstanding
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:30 AM   #12

Hi,

What do you think of the S9000/S9500? At first I was not overly impressed with it, but now I think that it is a great camera. I usually shoot RAW anyway and the shots I am taking are fantastically crisp and clear, another one for the S9000/S9500 dislikers. But it is a very good camera, I have no doubts now.

Martin
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:08 AM   #13

I'm glad that finally you all checked your record timings shooting RAW, because I was already starting to doubt. I have a 512 mb CF card, and it takes 11 seconds to record a RAW file to it, as opposed to 5 seconds using the new H-type XD card. Picture playback, movie recording is also approximately twice as fast using the XD card than the CF. All in all, if you really want some extra flexibility, and much faster shooting in RAW, I certainly would recommend using the H-type XD card.
megatonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:51 AM   #14

erm... recording video on XD twice as fast as on CF ?

Don't think so, it's equal because video is stored 1 to 1 while recording . When you stop recording, the cam also stops storing on the card.

I counted (did not use a stopwatch) the seconds and my SanDisk Extreme II CF did about 9 secs to store a RAW, my standard Fuij XD card did it in 5 secs.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:18 PM   #15
knd

9~10 seconds in a cheap 1Gb Compact Flash
knd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:00 PM   #16

As I have found out too late, it does not make a difference how fast the CF card is. I have a 1GB Sandisk Extreme 3 which is probably the fastest on the market at 133 x speed and it takes the same amount of time. While I am not very happy with this thing you have to keep in mind three things:

1 The Xd is not faster because Fuji wants you to buy their own cards but because it writes through a serial port rather than a parallel one (for comparison see difference between an IDE hard disk (PATA) and an SATA hard disk)

2 When comparing the speed to other cameras like the Canon 350D keep in mind than a RAW file for the canon is between 6-8MB and the Fuji is 18+MB

3 The only thing that could have been done to counter for the above is increase the buffer memory ........ which would in turn have increased the cost of the camera.
s9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:10 PM   #17

I've used the other Raw programmes and I'm staying with Adobe's raw converter for CS2, it looks and worksbetter imo. On the other hand I rarely use raw mode now because of the largefile size, 57pics on a 1gb card isn't enough for me, plus I can hardly tell the difference between 9mp fine/normal and Raw images as it is.

Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:42 AM   #18

RAW pix though have finer noise which can be removed better and you can adjust much more, even white-balance.

A good alternative would be putting a 1Gb CF and (at least) 512mb Xd card in the camera and when the CF card is full, take it out and transfer the images to an imagetank while making pix furtheron with the Xd Card. Then put the empty CF back later on and when the Xd is full repeat the same thing.

You can put 2000+ RAW images on a 40Gb imagetank!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote