Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:06 AM   #1

One of the complaints reviewers had of the S9000 was the slow write speed when using RAW mode capture. Times were listed as about 11 seconds for a CF card. I just recieved my S9000 and with a Toshiba 512Mb CF card (not extreme or anything like that) it takes less than 3 seconds to save a pic in RAW mode. Has Fuji reworked the camera to boost the RAW write speed? Perhaps there's a firmware update for users of older cameras to get faster write speeds.

Another complaint was the poor support by Fuji for converting RAW images. I wholheartedly agree with this observation. The bundled software is not worth using. Photoshop CS has a RAW importer, but if you don't have the bucks for PS, there is a RAW converter package available for free at:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...919/s7raw.html

It has all the bells and whistles and will save in 16-bit or 8-bit PSD or TIFF or 8-bit JPEG. I've used it a little and it seems to work real well. It's going to take a while to figure out all the things it can do and how to do them, but if you've been shying away from RAW shooting because of the criticisms listed above, perhaps you should check out your camera and see whether you could benefit by shooting "in the RAW". Although it does take a lot of storage on the card for a RAW photo (~18 mB), what you get in return is an 18 megapixel image (4896x3688) with 16-bit color. Granted it's interpolated because of the design of the Super-CCD, but gives exellent images.

Any Comments?
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2

I have never actually timed how long it takes to write a raw image, but it has never been a problem yet. But then I'm not usually in a situation where I need to take a lot of images quickly. Anyway, that isn't an issue with me. I agree with the benefits of shooting raw. I have Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Camera Raw. Last night I loaded a raw image and did my initial editing in Camera Raw, and then I converted it to a 16-bit tiff image. I did a little more postprocessing and then printed the 16-bit image on my less than state-of-the-art HP photo printer. I was really happy with the results.. I have used S7Raw a little bit. In my opinion it's OK if you don't have anything else. But I really do like Camera Raw a lot better.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3

3 seconds for writing a RAW file on a CF card? Check your stopwatch again... If it comes anything close to 5 seconds for a H-type XD card, I'll eat my brand new XD...
megatonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:38 AM   #4

Megatoman:

I'm going to have to agree with you. With a standard 1GB CF card my s9000 takes about 7 seconds to write a RAW image to the card.

jphess:

I think you should try s7raw a little more. It is much better than OK, it's great. Before I downloaded s7raw I did some research on the web and one site tested various RAW converters. They really criticized Camera Raw saying it gave poorer results than any of the stand alones, including s7raw.

Tom
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:43 AM   #5

I appreciate your comments about my trying to use S7Raw more. Actually, I used it quite extensively before Camera Raw supported the 9000. Compared to the latest version of Camera Raw, it is sluggish, the controls are less precise, and it is much slower to work with.

There are a lot of reviewers who have literally become Adobe bashers. I tried on numerous occasions to find these great virtues in S7Raw , but I get outstanding results from Camera Raw. Have you ever had an opportunity to work with Camera Raw in Photoshop CS2, NOT Photoshop Elements? If you have, and still say that you like S7Raw better, I would be surprised.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6

Hi,

Just been reading some of the comments. I have just checked my write time. I have a 256Mb xd card in, and it takes about 3 seconds to write a RAW file to the card. Software I use is the fuji Hyper-Utility sofware HS-V2 ver3.1 Anyone else use this.

Martin
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:26 PM   #7

Hi,

Just been reading some of the comments. I have just checked my write time. I have a 256Mb xd card in, and it takes about 3 seconds to write a RAW file to the card. Software I use is the fuji Hyper-Utility sofware HS-V2 ver3.1 Anyone else use this.

Martin
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:27 PM   #8

Sorry I must have clicked send twice!!!

Martin
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:06 PM   #9

Are you sure about that 3 seconds write time? Are you saying that after 3 seconds the yellow light is off and youcan take another shot?
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:56 AM   #10

Hi,

Apologies, I have the wrong write time. I have just done some tests results as follows: RAW mode 512Mb cf card 10seconds, 256xD card 7 seconds. RAW mode off:512Mb cf 4 secs, 256Mb xD 3 secs.

Martin