Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1

Default No video playing 3800 files on PC

I have a Fujifilm 3800 digital camera which can take short videos. These are stored as AVI files. The files will play on the camera, and the audio plays on the pc in windows media player & MS windows media player (which are different programs) but the video appears as a lines/flashes on a turquoise background. I thought I had most codecs and rarely encounter a file which won't play, but maybe I'm missing one? If so, I wonder where it might be found. The programs do not attempt to go online & get the required codec, as they often do when such a file is missing

TIA

Irving
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

I have the 3800 and also run into this problem. What OS are you using (2000, NT, 98)? I have no problem playing them Windows Media Player at home(Win98SE), but they only sound will play when I try to view them at work (Win NT 4.0, Windows Media Player 6.4).

6.4 is the highest version of Media Player for NT/Win95. I have run into this problem with various .avi files with this configuration.

I believe the software provided with the camera has a Media Player upgrade on it, I updated my home PC and have encountered no problems.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:15 PM   #3

Have had similar probs with MediaPlayer, also trying to play some WAV files (they work OK running mplayer.exe which lurks in your Windows directory). I think with MP9, manufacturers have to register their codecs or license with MS (probably have to part with dosh!) Also MS seems to be bending over to do what it can to help them enforce copyright. My probs started after I upgraded to MP9. Before, I could play cam files, but a bit juddery. As you say, fine out of the cam - but decoding might be in firmware. If you visit the MS site they have a number of AVI test files. Of course they all work in MP9! For audio I've now ripped out MP9 and gone back to Winamp.

Morgan's MJPEG player is excellent, low on pc resources therefore less judder. 30 day trial is free, afterwards some money to pay. I've been able to play Mpeg2 video ok on MP9, but not MJPEG files produced by my Fuji cam. AVI files come in different flavours. MP9 doesn't seem to me, to be the play everything player it used to be.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. OS is WIN2K (duh, should have mentioned that!!! I also have (woe is) ME on another HDD, I'll try that. I didn't load the software which came with the camera, too much crap! I just get my still pics in WE & view them in photoshop. No problems there, just with the videos (not really that important, but I would like to get it to work just for fun Windows Media Player is ver 6.4.09.1121 M$ Windows Media Player is ver 7.01.00.3055, I generally use the latter for videos, works fine with rare exceptions (BTW I use winamp for all my audio files). Try not to update too often, so many times the "upgrades" are just more crap peddling or privacy invasions! :x

I'll look into Morgan's mpeg player, thanks.

Irving

BTW again I didn't load the Fuji software, what's a good program for the "webcam" function?
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 4:51 PM   #5

Have a look at this, need to play with it and it's free! This baby comes with video filters and can transcode. After I installed it, it must have put its own codecs in 'cos Winamp now plays great! I put a short 19Mb clip through its DIV/X codec and it quickly shrank to 6Mb, put in a 2:1 size reduction and the file went to 1.8Mb that's what I call emailable video, Enjoy!

VirtualDub from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/v...use_mirror=umn
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 6:08 AM   #6

Default How to convert AVI 640x480 from s602 to mpeg or divx

Great I have downloaded, installed and used the soft you mentionned. And it works great.

Using one of my coded (Dix 5 pro) (you can use the one you prefer - just try), I was able to generate a Divx compatible on numerous movie player with less size. The quality is as good as a divx movie or a video from a digital video, specially if the s602 is on a table and not in your hand. Sound is ok.

For me, this is great and it avoids me to buy a video recorder. It saves me a lot of time and money. This was one the main reason why I bought it and I am very happy.

Other good points :
5 pictures in 1 seconds at 3 MP mode.
ISO excellent, quality,, ... all excellent
macro-mode : picture totally filled by a wasp !
zoom by 6
microdrive 1 Go,
mickael_orcel is offline   Reply With Quote