Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 12, 2006, 3:52 PM   #11

I just took another look at picture number 424. Basically, I like the picture. But it has a couple of problems. First of all, the highlights are blown. I zoomed in on the little boat near the middle of the picture, and using the curve control or the levels control and pushing them to the extreme, I could not restore the lettering that should be on the side of the boat. I think exposure compensation would have made a big difference. The other problem that I see with the picture is that everything you want to focus on in the picture is so small that it is impossible to extract any real detail from it. And that really isn't the fault of the camera. The larger an object is, the greater the amount of detail that can be shown. I think I said this previously in this thread, but if there had been a prominent object in the foreground of the picture, large enough to be shown in detail, the whole perception of sharpness of the picture would be completely different.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:25 AM   #12

http://members.home.nl/freddievtb/DSCF0793.JPG

Note: this photo is 4,5mb original size.

there is a little bit blurring on the left side, which I thinkwas caused by a little to small DOF. A larger aperture would have solved that.

Just to give an example of the S9500, it can make sharp pics, so if you don't get sharp images, evenin bright light conditions. Then you got a faulty cam. If you think your camera is not good, then I'd advise to make a few more pix during daylight with good weather and check them for sharpness. Use a large aperture to be sure you get enough DOF and less zoom as possible.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:44 AM   #13

Hey everyone, thanks for taking time to reply! I am going to do some more test shots this afternoon and see what i come up with. It's a bit cloudy although the sun is breaking through now and then so i think i will go down the beach and try it out there.

I have sent of some sample shots to Fuji and after a week waiting for a reply and many phone calls they checked the samples while i was on the phone only to tell me that this was completely normal and there is no fault...............Hmmmmm, not sure what to think!?
cloud surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:34 PM   #14

I thought my 9500 was playing-up and it's been to Fuji twice. I sent an image from my S7000 at 3 Meg, ISO 400, flash and about the same focal length (and one from the 9500 at same settings). The images on the 7000 seemed much better than the 9500.

Fuji assure me that the 9500 algorithm for processuing the image is set so that 'on average' you get a good balance between colour and sharpness. They said that a lab print would be perfect from the 9500 because apparently lab processors automatically 'sharpen' images from digital cameras. They said if I was to inkjet print then I'd have to use the sharp mask in Paint Shop or the like!!

Tried sharpenin pp and the results are not good. I must admit I was expecting great results 'out of the box' but it seem this will not be the case with the 9500. The images look fine on my monitor until I get to 1:1, then they look very soft and not sharp at all.

Cropped samples attached, really need a 'digi expert' opinion, too used to my old ways with Nikon F2A & Bronica SQA.

I would really appreciate some comments if you guys get chance.

John
Attached Images

John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:10 AM   #15

John not sure what's what here but I'm assuming the image on the left is 7000 and right 9500?All I can say is thatthe image on the right is terrible but there's no exif info since this appears to be a composite image, so it's difficult to pass comment. The image on the right however, anddepending on how it was taken, is definitely not the norm for the 9500. I get images of the quality of the left hand shot straight out the cam. I may have misunderstood you somewhere though.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:54 PM   #16

Thanks Steve

I placed the image as a composite becuase I could only upload one to the post.

The image on the Left is the 7000 and that's exactly why I'm not very pleased. I've tried a number of different settings but the result is pretty much the same -- very blurry at 1:1. I've not tried prints at this crop setting so maybe they'll be different.

I'll attach the 9500 crop with this message.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:14 PM   #17

Hi John, there's something not quite right with my home setup here - I'm still not seeing exif - I'll check it out at the office in the morning. One thing I can say is that this image isfar from acceptable in my opinion. As I say, I get images of the quality of your 7000 image that you posted straight out of the 9500 -providing I haven't made a hash of the shot that is:-)

Without labouring a point, have you resized your images to the same resolution as your screen ie 1024x768 or whatever you are on, when you download them? If you don't they are going to look pretty bad until you do this.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:33 PM   #18

Hi Steve

I didn't realise that I would have to resize for the screen, particularly as I'm looking at a comparison where one is very good and one is poor. I did reset the 9500 image to 1024 by 768 and it does look better, but only because it's smaller at 1:1 and I can't really see the detail, when I zoom it then pixelates anyway.

I think I'm stuck with this because Fuji insist that the camera is perfect and has rec'd a side-by-side comparison with a 'known' 9500. I don't really understand why (as they say) they have to have an algorithm which produces unsharp images on purpose. I've tried tidying with unsharp mask but to no avail.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:19 AM   #19

Something sure ain't right there with the S9500. It is almost as if it is not getitng focused when you push the shutter down half way.
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:05 AM   #20

Hm,
think it's out of focus tbh. Can you try manual focus and see if things will be better? With the given example I can't do much, would need a better file (less compression for example).

Anyway, I tried a sharpening via deconvolution (circular blur, 5x5 matrix, radius 2,2) with 1 and 2 iterations:

So you might try the in-camera sharpening too I'd say. But at first I'd check that autofocus thingie

just my 2 cents
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote