Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:56 AM   #21

John, still not seeing any exif data on the shot - can you repost the 9500 image with exif in tact (ie just resized for posting). Don't think anyone will want to make too much comment without having had the chance to see what settings you used.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:25 PM   #22

Hi Steve

Resized the whole thing to below the Forum 250 limit. Hope I've done this correctly. My camera is now back from Fuji, untouched because there is no fault. Will do some more trials utilising your advice.
Attached Images

John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:28 PM   #23

A lot of noise. No EXIF data with the resized photo. It looks like the point of focus is somewhere around the one strap and the glasses. If there is high ISO (800) and the aperture is small, you will have some limit of Depth of Field. Also it is hard to say what the shutter speed is. If it is slow you could also have some camera shake. There seems to be some degree of shake but can't quite figure the angle.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:56 PM   #24

John, don't know what's happened to your exif data but I think you are going to have to re-take the shot and re-submit. You are not going to get the help you are looking for without the Exif data being in tact (without detracting from Winemaker's comments, which are obviously valid).
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:42 AM   #25

It appears to me the camera focused on the lower half of the picture. For closeups such as these you should use the center (spot) focus option to control where the camera focuses. I use this setting all the time which allows more precise focusing control. I focus on the area I want in focus, hold the shutter down half way until it focuses, re aim and shoot while still holding down the shutter release halfway. My photos are accurately focused at least 95% of the time this way

Tom

tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:09 PM   #26

when i first saw the image i was lke ther is nothing wrong with this. but at full size it seems as if it has been mowed over with a very nasty noise reducer of some sort. thats all i can think of

i dont own a fuji so im not sure but is ther a built in noise reducer and can u turn it off some how.

Im asuming u have the res et to 9mp, super fine detail.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:01 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for all of your help with this. Change of tactic is on the way -- I am now starting under the premise that there's nothing wrong with the camera and everything wrong with my settings and/or technique. I think part of the problem is leaving it on Auto and letting it choose for exampleISO settings which can really add to the grain etc. As has been said, we can take as many experimental shots as we like at no cost, so that's what I'm going to do. I've looked at the flash photo of the girl on Steve's 9000 review and at 1:1 the eyes are pin sharp, that's what I'm aiming for with my 9500.

Took one of my daughter today and the whole thing is pin sharp which has restored my confidence in the camera. I haven't figured out how to reduce the file size (suitable for the forum limits AND keep the EXIF data intact)! -- anyone know how??

Thanks again everyone

John

Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:37 PM   #28

John Morgan,

For image resizing (down): http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

For general photo shooting try the following settings:

AF - single shot, center spot

Mode - Aperture priority

ISO - 100

Quality - jpeg extra fine (best possible quality)

SQUEEZE THE SHUTTER RELEASE LIKE IT WAS A SHELLED SOFT BOILED EGG

Most important: enjoy your new toy and have fun

John
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:58 AM   #29

Thanks, that Powertoy is great and all my Exif is intact.

Attached an image which is getting closer to my expectations - just a snap with no fancy background.

John

Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:44 AM   #30

Very nice image John (and lovely daughter) - very crisp and clear on my screen. Nice job.