Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:14 PM   #31

Hi Steve: At 1:1 on 9 Meg Fine it looks pretty good. I think I'm needing to take more care with autofocus as the Winemaker has suggested. The trouble with using the Auto setting is that you get used to the camera making decisions which it is sometimes incapable of. Took a shot of my car last evening as the light faded and it was totally out - probably glare from the body confusing the AF sensor.

I need to wack off a 'few more rolls of film' with this 9500 to get the hang of it!!!!

Regards

John
John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:29 AM   #32

Looks like you're doing fine to me John-I thinktheadage of "practice makes perfect" is particularly relevant to this camera. I've personally had very little trouble with Auto mode but I think that mightbe dueto my experience with my 5500, which taught me very gently, the limitations of Auto mode and the benefit of PASM modes. I've found that I'm quickly developing an intuitive feel for the9500 and thishas come purely through practice (and heeding the very good advice that continually appears on this forum and DPR's).

All I can suggest, and I'm sure themore experienced users will agree with me on this, isjust keep shooting and you'll soon discover what works and what doesn't in specific situations - I don't think there's any real short-cut to this process and personally I'm finding it a lot of fun andthe best form of instruction. When I keep failing in a particular area, I look for answers here and inevitably find them.

Good luck and keep posting - we all have something toteach and share with others.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:00 AM   #33

hi john,

here's something for you. my wife has set the pic of you little girl as wallpaper

on her pc. see that? you have done well and we like her expression!

regards

patktl
patktl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:42 PM   #34

:?at what distants was the shot taken and what was the aperature set at, i own a s9500 and the images are very sharp (but i switch to macro when close up and using a small amount of zoom)
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:46 PM   #35

have you selected macro at this close range?

:?thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hm,
think it's out of focus tbh. Can you try manual focus and see if things will be better? With the given example I can't do much, would need a better file (less compression for example).

Anyway, I tried a sharpening via deconvolution (circular blur, 5x5 matrix, radius 2,2) with 1 and 2 iterations:

So you might try the in-camera sharpening too I'd say. But at first I'd check that autofocus thingie

just my 2 cents
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:08 PM   #36

Hi Wayner

There was no need for macro because this is a crop of a much larger area. Listening to Steve and Winmaker et al I really think this was down to inexperience by allowing Auto to 'rule' and not too clever focussing. I'm taking much more care now of 'out of the box' shots and my results are improving. I think Steve and Winemaker have helped me to see that it's very easy to 'blame the tools'.

I'm getting much better results since I've applied thought before shoot!!

Happy shooting everyone.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:11 PM   #37

Quote:
"All I can suggest, and I'm sure themore experienced users will agree with me on this, isjust keep shooting and you'll soon discover what works and what doesn't in specific situations - I don't think there's any real short-cut to this process....."
Totally agree Steve, but wouldn't have unless I'd participated in this forum :|
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:33 AM   #38

Hi John, glad you are feeling more comfortable. Really nice tohave such a positive and enthusiastic presence on these pages ()who doesn't think there's something wrong with the camera every time a shot doesn't quite turn out right.

Iam convinced that someusers think that Auto mode is some kind of magical device that has the way with all to overcome every ham fisted effort of ours to produce a bad shot:GIt does remarkably well under the circumstances (I think), but at the end of the day it is still governed by an algorithm and a pre-defined number of parametersto workwithin. Inevitablyit will be confronted byconditions & situations that it cannot assessorproduce a good image from - if it had a brain and intellect of it's own, it wouldn't need us to push the button.

I really do think the 9500 is an exceptional camera andthe more I use it, the better the results are becoming. I've noticed that the quality of images posted by longer term 9500 owners has risen remarkably since the end of last year and I think that proves a point. It also speaks volumes for the quality of the advice that can be found on these forums - especially from those who were amongst the first to own the camera.

Keep posting!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:11 AM   #39

I agree completely with what Steve has said here. It almost seems that the camera has to be "broken in", but in reality I think it's a matter of the photographer getting a feel for what the camera can do. I haven't printed any big images yet, but I have done some 8x10s that have been so sharp that they almost look three-dimensional. And I have run a few of mine through Neat Image just to see what improvements it would make. On some of my higher ISO images it helps a little. But I have run some ISO 80 images that I could see no improvement at all. So, in my opinion, the noise levels are very acceptable. I am so happy with this camera. Now, if the weather would only improve so I could find some nice scenery to photograph. Looking forward to spending some time in Jackson Hole, Wyoming this summer.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:46 PM   #40

Quote:
I really do think the 9500 is an exceptional camera andthe more I use it, the better the results are becoming.

Agreed, I'm seeing better images all the time.

Jphess: I don't think you need to get better weather, you live in a great place - especially for the snow scenes. I've been to Utah a number of times and the scenery is great - a little like Wales on times :-) I have a number of good friends in your area including SLC, Lehi, St Georgeand a little place called Kanosh (South of Provo on the St George road).

Keep on getting great shots everyone

John