Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:34 AM   #1

I know there is a few posts already concerning this but i am curious if these images are worse than a normal S9500.........(thats if mine isn't normal)

Anyway here they are:

http://isleofwightsurfclub.net/temp-photos/DSCF0424.JPG
http://isleofwightsurfclub.net/temp-photos/DSCF0425.JPG
http://isleofwightsurfclub.net/temp-photos/DSCF0428.JPG
http://isleofwightsurfclub.net/temp-photos/DSCF0443.JPG

Pleeeeeaaaasssseee get back to me someone and let me know if i should send the camera back. Fuji seem to think there is no fault with it!
cloud surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:39 AM   #2

There are probably going to be those who disagree with me. But I think one of your problems is that you don't have something in the foreground, closer to you, with greater detail. And you are looking for extreme detail in a photo that covers a very broad area. And it may be such a broad area that the camera and doesn't really know what to focus on.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:40 AM   #3

this is not normal, the pix should be much sharper!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:05 AM   #4

I played with one of your images a little bit. Don't really know what to say. Don't know if this looks better or worse. One question, what sharpening level do you have your camera set on?
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:48 AM   #5

Hi Cloud,

I'm assumingthese pics are straight out the camera -Think I tend to agree with Proton that they should be sharper than this, based on my own experience. Have you tried a print?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

Looking at the images they look reasonably focused and sharp in the centre of the picture but I detect a definite softness to the edges of the image (in particular the right side) which I don't think should be there.

Have you sent off a sample to Fuji tech support?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:27 PM   #7

I looked at the top print. You shot it at ISO 80 at 1/125 second and all settings seem normal, excpet you have a large amount of chromatic distortion in the upper left part of the picture. Bottom half of the picture looks pretty good, but if you cropped the top 1/3 of the picture of the houses and printed that, I think you would be dissapointed.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:01 AM   #8

On my monitor the images don't look soft at all in fact they are the total opposite.The foreground and middle ground seem very sharp. The distant detail looks soft but could this be down to the aperture? Maybe a higher F-stop would have helped bring everything into focus?
vrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:06 AM   #9

Could Surfer,

( I am an owner and user of the S9000)

I downloaded image #424.

At close inspection, upto 700 %, I find that your image gives testimony to excactly how much detail the S9000 can capture.

The problem with your image is the glare from the sun. Many of your white surfaces are at triple 255.

You should use a proper exposure, use your live historgram, and even better, since this is a landscape, you can afford the time to view the image on the review screen and check for blinking highlights.

At the angle you are to the sun in this image, a circular polarizer would be ideal.

From the detail present I would bet you used a tripod. If not you have one steady hand.

The upper left hand corner shows alot of CA due to the angle of the surfaces to your sensor and the accompaning glare off their surfaces, in addition to the impropper exposure setting.

Again, the detail is remarkable for a camera at the S9000's price point.

When a scene has such a wide dynamic range you can under and over shoot and then combine the images via software.

This scenecalls for shooting in RAW to obtain the best image.

Regards, Nichoas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:17 AM   #10

I concurr what Nicholas said about image #424. For all the practicallity of the image, it is more than sharp enough and detailed enough, save the upper left part.... MHO.

When you increase f stops from say f5.6 to f11 as an example, you really don't increase the sharpness of the furthurest object in the picture IF you already have the focus set on infinity. All the increase will do in that situation is increase more depth of focus in objects closer to you. If there are 'no' objects closer than say 25' you might actually have a less sharp image due to the closed down aperture. (another story). So if this picture was focued at infinity (assuming) your best f stop for this scene for overall sharpness would be around f4.5 I believe. I'm getting this from the "middle" range of f stops that are available to this camera. On a 35mm with f 1.8 - f16 it generally is f8. On my Schneider Symmar 210mm view lens it's about f11, but it goes up to f64 for the smallest aperture opening.

My guess is an 8x10 print will knock the socks off anybody looking at it, given it's printed on a 6 inkjet printer such as the HP 5550 or such.

Everyones monitor is a bit different to view these pictures:-) Mine is a 19" LCD with direct DVI into it at it's higest resolution of 1280 X1024, so what I see won't be what someone else sees at 800X600 on a CRT monitor or even if someone has it set to 640 X 480. *S*

After I posted I downloaded the image and took another look at it. Shapness is indeed in the lower 1/2 of the picture, but there is sooo much Chromatic Abberation in the upper half, it is a prime example of what is said about this lens's fault and what one has to consider. The noise is very good, but the levels of chromatic abberation are pretty apparent. They appear as purple or blueish glows around the edeges of objects, like building, sharp contrast objects in the pictures. It is, perhaps, the only major defecit with the S9000 in my opinion. The lens maker did a very good job of conrtolling the CA within the scope of the zoom lens. Had it been a lens design with a shorter zoom lens, the engineers would have been able to better correct it. Unfortunately, consumers want super wide to super zooms all-in-one and that drives the market. Using LD glass and hybrid lens design (glass/plastic) would have also helped, but now you are talking about more money and that would have lessened sales. I half way wonder if the sensor on this camera is absolutely positioned correctly in the camera. ANY shift from absolute perpendicular to the lens will cause degradation and usually only on one part of the resulting image.

Go back, shoot that same scene, or a smilar scene, with similar settings right side up and then shot it with the EXACT settings with the camera upside down. Then inspect those upper building in the picture. If the sensor has shifted in relation to the lens you should be able to see a difference in the upper part of the picture where all the building are. If they are the same you now have proof.

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote