Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:03 PM   #21

Here is Pic 2
Attached Images

Digman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:07 PM   #22

Pics 3 and 4 are similar; one is AUTO and the other is MANUAL.

Here is Pic 3 - AUTO
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:07 PM   #23

Pic 4 - similar to Pic 3 - MANUAL Focusing
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:27 PM   #24

Clyde Atkinson wrote:
Quote:
I see you are still getting some very nice S9000 pics, I'm not ready to upgrade yet and may even wait for the S9000's sucessor as my S7k still performs well, but the additional features of the S9x00 cams are tempting!

Clyde
Thanks Clyde, if the pictures are good then that is a testimony to the camera. I am very happy with mine and still coming to grips with it (I've found the manual to be a great help in that regard:G).Certainly is quite a step up from my 5500 but the transition has been surprisingly easy, since many of the functions are very similar in nature. I would have no hesitation in recommending it with the'rider' that if you think you might have a problem unit on your hands, don't hesitatein getting it exchanged - Fuji seem pretty accomodating of late on that one.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:45 PM   #25

Nice pics, Digman (especialy liked the 'leaves in the sun')...not too much grain! I can tell you don't live in the NE US, because those branches you shot outside today don't have 18" of snow on top of them. I can also tell you got an 'out of focus' warning on the icicle shot...ice is tough to auto focus on - would have been a good time to use manual focus. Good exposure, though - 1/450 second, F5.6, ISO 64.

Enjoy your camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 3:00 PM   #26

Thanks Hun.... Yeah... Michigan got spared. Winter wasn't all that badthis time around.

So, yes... I saw the icicles result and foundIhad to mess withmanual controls if Iwanted a god pic. Making progress, though; wouldn't you say? First manual focus, then aperture and speed... Thanks again for your comments.

About the grains... My pics are not bad at all... but I've seen some other camera outputs - simple point and shoot types (Canon and Sony), and those outputs were SPECTACULAR - almost seemed like a painting - no grains. I wonder why...

Also, another question: I've found that the lens on the S5100 does not sit snugly in the camera. There is a DISTINCT gap - esp when the lens comes out of the camera. Ifyou hold the lens and very lightly shake it, you can feel the gap. It does not seem to affect pic quality; but I checked other cameras in the store, and found the same to be true with all the S5100 I've seen. Strange? Why would the lens shake like that?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:15 PM   #27

Digman,

I think the megazoom cameras are a little more prone to grain than their 3x counterparts. However, I haven't seen too many spectacular pics taken with simple P&S cameras. On the contrary, I've seen countless horrible pics from them. A lot has to do with the photographer, composition and lighting. I'm expecting to see some spectacular shots from you, shortly.

The wobble of the S5100 lens is a common occurence...it has no effect on the function of the camera. I keep my adapter ring on all the time, so I never see the gap. The New S5200 has gone to a fixed lens housing, thereby eliminating the gap and also eliminating the possibility of getting dust on the sensor.

I was in Michigan last April...it was a little chilly.

the Hun
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:52 PM   #28

Saginaw, huh? Notyour typical touristy city though....

I looked at the pic.... interesting to note that you used Potrait for a landscape shot. What did you focus on? Coz... everything seems (to the ordinary eye) to be in focus just like focusing to infinity.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:47 PM   #29

Actually, the picture was taken in Bay City, and I was there on business. The Portrait mode was an accident...probably hit the dial when I took the camera out of the case, and didn't realize it. I don't remember what I focused on, but the F8 aperture probably increased the DOF enough to bring everything into focus.

the Hun

Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:56 PM   #30

Enlightening.... I'll try that sometime.... Later people... till I take some pics again.