Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:05 AM   #1

I bought this Fujifilm S5100 and it hasconsistently been producing bad quality pictures. Very grainy. Indoors and Outdoors. Sunny andCloudy. Even in the highest quality mode. It is about 10 months old. First I thought it was my computer monitor; but after many tests with other cameras and monitors, I have found the problem to be with the S5100. Can I return it? Or repair it? Or should I just chuck it in a dumpster? Absolutely frustrated.
Digman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:38 AM   #2

I take it you bought a used S5100...is that correct? If so, can you return it? Is it covered under any warranty?

To be honest, the only times I've heard of the S5100 producing poor quality pics, it was due to the photographer, not the camera. It is really a very good camera.

Before you do anything, why don't you post a few of your bad quality pics here, and let us take a look? Post at least one sunny outdoors, one low light with flash, and one low light without flash. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3

I bought this camera brand new from Amazon.com. Anyhow, I love the camera's features andwould be thrilled if it is only user-error that's producing these bad pics. I'll look for some pics to post here. Thanks for the reply, though.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

I am trying to get pics that are personal/non-sensitive in nature... Anyhow, I discovered that all my pics are 72 dpi. Would that be a problem? How can I increase the resolution?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Hey guys, how do I post pictures if the file size of the attachment cannot be more than 244 K?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:33 AM   #6

I'm a little surprised that you put up with poor picture quality for 10 months. Anyway, go ahead and post some pics...take some new ones if need be. Don't worry about the DPI, just resize your pics to 800 x 600 and post away.

the Hun

Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:50 AM   #7

What can I say... I delayed taking it out, then assumed all is OK... realization hit only over the holiday season. ANyway, here is the

1st pic - Sunlight - outside

2272 x 1704 pix; 72 dpi; Bit depth 24;

Shutter speed: 1/2048 sec; Exposure time: 1/2000 sec; ISO 400; Aperture F/9

The graininess appears most when you look at the original image in full size, or you try zooming.

Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:53 AM   #8

Here is Pic 2

2272 x 1704 pix; 72 dpi; Bit depth 24;

Shutter speed: 1/64 sec; Exposure time: 1/60 sec; ISO 400; Aperture F/2.8

The graininess appears most when you look at the original image in full size, or you try zooming.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:11 AM   #9

I wouldn't exactly call those shots horrible, but I do see the grain. Any reason why you stripped the EXIF data from the pics? I could have made a better evaluation if you had left it intact. Anyway, according to the data you posted, it seems that the common thread is ISO 400. There's no way you should have been using ISO 400 on a bright sunny day. Obviously, you were not in AUTO mode, because if you had been, the S5100 would have selected ISO 64 for the Disney shot, and you would have had zero grain. Again for the indoor shot, without the EXIF data, I can't tell for sure, but was the flash used?

the Hun

Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:27 AM   #10

Wow... My mistake... Used a different software to reduce the size. Now, I will do it properly, I hope.

Pic 1 attached.