Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

I was at my daughter's school the other morning taking pictures of her getting award for being in the A-B Honor Roll. She was also part of a choir that sang a a song at the beginning of the affair. I was checking the focus and distance, and took a picture only to discover I had not turned on the external flash. I'm about 35-45 feet away, so it was marginal at best. The picture was taken at ISO 400 with no flash in an auditorium at a shutter speed of 1/250 and aperture of 4.3 . Needless to say it was HORRIBLY underexposed with nothing of great interest. Posted below is the first image.

Now for the forensic of me to come into play. I was a forensic photographer back in Nebraska and what you see next is not something to print and frame, as I took a WHOLE lot better pictures after the flash was turned on, but, if you needed evidence.... you could get enough from this image to make a conviction!

My Daughter is in the pink sweat shirt with the Cabela's name on it. Lilke I said it's not the greatest, but this does pose what one could do in the hands of law enforcement photography using the corrections. I used Color Pilot to say the guy's shirt in the front row "...xpress" was white, and clicked "start" The resulting image was saved as a TIFF and in Adobe CS I adjust just the brightness and contrast a bit and saved it as both a TIFF and "saved for web", which you see here.

I thought it was pretty remarkable!

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:58 AM   #2

this is indeed a remarkable recovery!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:16 AM   #3

Digital is amazing.

Hope you don't mind, here is my correction of you original under-exposed web image (not your corrected image).

Starting with the full size original you could get a printable image:

Regards, Nicholas

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:17 PM   #4

I don't mind Nicholas.... *S* It is usually difficult to do much with this image after I've already fiddled with it in jpeg format, run it through Neat Image, brightened it up a bit, and then resized it smaller, and reduced the jpg quality to the point it would load acceptable well on a web page. But, yet I can see the extra brightness you have attibuted to it. Interestingly, the 'recovered' image is amost better than the Toshiba digital picture I took of here a couple of years ago on stage. It too was dark, attibuted to the small onboard flash (Toshiba PDC 2300) where the Fuji had an external Vivitar zoom flash I used that day.. only not at the moment I took the picture I posted here.. LOL

Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:29 AM   #5

Well, this seems to be about as good a place as any to show of this picture. I decided to try some night photography with my S9000 last night, the coldest night of the year so far (about 0 degrees Fahrenheit at 7 PM). This is the business district in the town I live in. Doesn't look very 21st century, does it? In all fairness, there is a post office, cafe, City Hall, and library across the street. But I was sort of pleased with this one for a first try. As you can probably tell, it doesn't take much to excite me.

Jim
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6

Hi Jim!! Reminds me of Crawford, NE in the winter.. I grew up near there and later lived in Crawford when I was working for the City of Crawford. I got your picutre and just used Color Pilot and told it that the snow at the bottom of the lamp post was white, and set the level to .70 so ti would not make EVERYTHING washed out.. it did some dramatic color shift and wanted to share with you and other. Behold the lowly Color Pilot program. *S*

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:27 AM   #7

Yes, I tried something similar. But the street lights have a rather strong orange cast to them, and I was trying to make the picture and as natural as possible. In fact, I added an orange photo filter in Photoshop to enhance the effect. But I like your rendition as well. It's kind of an interesting shot that's open to a lot of personal interpretation.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8

See what I mean? This black and white kind of puts us back in time a few decades, I think.
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:46 AM   #9

I like the Black & White.. it would look very nice printed on a HP Photosmart 8450 printer that has the Gray cartridge in place and printed in gray scale. It would look like a picture taken with a 35mm camera about 30 years back or so.

Steve's Digicam has a review on the printer here and it does some remarkable things if you print in B&W it also is an 8 color inkjet printer and his and another review were amazed by the results.

I can get it up at Staples for $116 on clearance. Yes, it is replaced by a different model and it's upward of $180.00 I think come payday, I'll pick up one of these. I currently use and am delighted with the HP 5550 deskjet injet printer. I have taken pictures to work and my boss who has some of the best equipment, including a color laser printer and 2 Nikon D100 cameras with assorted Nikon lenses and underwater gear, commented on the pictures from my HP5550 printer on how wonderful they turn out. If you go to the bother to use a good camera you want a good printer. I used to take exposed film to WalMart and places but this was silly as I spent good money on Nikon bodies and lenses and then to defeat the lens by taking it to some photo finishing places that didn't care how close the focus was in their enlarger or if they needed to change the chemicals. Sometimes I think they wait "for the next guy" to do that chemical changing and it shows

By the way, the town close to where I grew up was -35 last night brrrr... LOL

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:02 PM   #10

Well, I went back and and gave it another try tonight. It was snowing lightly, so I was standing in the shelter of the community building. That is why the tree is in the picture. I know, it shouldn't be there, but I was trying to protect my camera. But I thought this turned out fairly well.
Attached Images