Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:52 AM   #11

Gentlemen, I did have a lengthy reply drafted, but instead I'm going to be brief.

Without wishing to seem melodramatic, there's some weird stuff going on here, and much of it appears to contradict your replies, which is puzzling to put it mildly.

So ... to try and get to the bottom of these issues I'm going to take on board everything you've said and give my camera a good work-out over the next few days.

I'll try to report back before the end of this week.

Many, many thanks for your responses.
powernapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:58 AM   #12

The s9000 lens is not parfocal. If that's what you want you will have to buy a DSLR and a very expensive lens. Does anyone know of a 28-300 zoom lens that is parfocal? My s9000 takes great photos. See my Carribean vacation post for results.

Tom
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:33 AM   #13

does anyone know of a DECENT 28-300 lens ???????
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:37 AM   #14

Yep.. the Tamaron 28-300 XR (IF) Zoom and it is parafocal. I have the Tamron 28-200 XR (Xtra Refractive) glass and it is great.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:26 PM   #15

That lens (Tamron)is rated at 28-300 for film. For digital it's 45-480 which makes it a different animal. It's also rather slow (f3.5-6.3)

Tom
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:50 PM   #16

I am of the opinion that something very strange goes on with manual focussing. I've moaned about it before over here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16999778

Yes, I know the focus changes as you zoom BUT when you zoom in manual focus mode, you can hear and actually see the focus motor trying to compensate for this. Obviously it simply makes an approximation based on the change of focal length. It appears that errors are introduced by this approximation and, when you zoom back, these errors are *not* lost.

As someone who is used to a 'real' manual focus camera, I find the implementation in the S9500 next to impossible to use. IMHO this has nothing to do with the fact that it is 'fly-by-wire'. I earn my crust from creating control systems and it is not difficult to make a better one than this. If I turn the focus ring slowly I can hear and see the focus change in fits and bursts. Instead of simply controlling the motor, it seems like the ring is changing the camera's notion of focus point. It then factors in other things like the zoom position before it drives the motor. Errors in various approximations and the maths cause the erratic motor movement. C'mon Fuji, this is a bad implementation and it really needs to be sorted before you can claim that the S9500 is a manual focus camera.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:04 PM   #17

altis wrote:
Quote:
I am of the opinion that something very strange goes on with manual focussing. I've moaned about it before over here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16999778

Yes, I know the focus changes as you zoom BUT when you zoom in manual focus mode, you can hear and actually see the focus motor trying to compensate for this. Obviously it simply makes an approximation based on the change of focal length. It appears that errors are introduced by this approximation and, when you zoom back, these errors are *not* lost.

As someone who is used to a 'real' manual focus camera, I find the implementation in the S9500 next to impossible to use. IMHO this has nothing to do with the fact that it is 'fly-by-wire'. I earn my crust from creating control systems and it is not difficult to make a better one than this. If I turn the focus ring slowly I can hear and see the focus change in fits and bursts. Instead of simply controlling the motor, it seems like the ring is changing the camera's notion of focus point. It then factors in other things like the zoom position before it drives the motor. Errors in various approximations and the maths cause the erratic motor movement. C'mon Fuji, this is a bad implementation and it really needs to be sorted before you can claim that the S9500 is a manual focus camera.
I think you will find that it is the aperture changing and not the focus motor trying to compensate when you zoom.

Sel .......
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:03 PM   #18

Ok.. I have some HD space to spare for a trial. I set the camera up on manual focus on "P" setting to see if there were some issues. I did find out one, for me and my setting. I had the camera set on "external flash" but I used the built in pop-up flash. Needless to say all the picutres came out dark at ISO setting 100. So, off with the "external flash" setting and back to taking a few pictures. I found one that was not absolutely squarely focused, and I was fiddling a bit with the focus and zoom so it sure could have been me. The rest.... DEAD on. I did find one thing intersting. If you push the button on the side it gives you a quick "down 'n dirty" focus and you can take it from there. Most of the time it is nearly exacty. BTW this is what the manual says to do as well. My shots came out good, but for HEAVENS SAKE as long as it takes to get good crisp shots using manual focus, I think the AF could have made the correct determination a long time ago. MF was not built for normal picture taking. Period. It is designed for those rare exceptions that your camera's onboard autofocus can't distinguish a clear contrast difference and stuggles to make a focus. Something all white or all black (nearly so) would be a good example of using the MF. Besides, when you push the "focus assist" button on the back of the camera to enlarge the center, MAN does it allow you to get sharp! But, be gentle, be light on that ring. Once you can visually see what is comming into focus, don't rush it an allow it to slowly be turned to get just the right exposure.

Mine seems to work just fine. Manual Focus is designed for very low contrast scenes that AF just can't distinguish. It's not a mechanical lens, it's a digital design and all you are doing is running a fine tune mechanism.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:44 AM   #19

Thank you Winemaker for the 'quick-focus' tip. Much faster than the manual focus ring.

Unfortunately, regardless of using either the 'quick-focus' button or the manual focus ring the back-focus problem persists. On the enclosed pic I framed-up and then focussed ('quick-focus' button) on the wording Faculty of Education on the far building, I did not re-compose. The wording isn't particularly sharp, but the foreground is !

Resolution seems very good, detail in shadows, highlights ok.

ISO 80, 1/60th, f5.6, RAW, 12.8mm (obviously doesn't convert to 35mm equivalent), FinePix Colour Cr, Sharpness Hard, circular polarising filter, tripod, self-timer 2secs.

Using Photoshop's RAW Converter plug-in I corrected the chromatic aberration. In Photoshop CS2 I applied one level of sharpness, drastically cropped the image and re-sampled it to 72ppi.
Attached Images

powernapper is offline   Reply With Quote