Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

Just stumbled across an really nasty problem. Zoomed right in to focus, pull out to re-frame – wooops ! – focus has gone. Zoomed right back in again and the focus is still out. Everything set on manual. Now where's that warranty card ...:sad::sad::sad:
powernapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, in manual-focus mode you can hear the autofocus motor running as you adjust the zoom ring.

It also does not manual-focus in super-macro mode unless you are around 4" from the subject. The focus button can pull it in at 1-2cm, but as soon as you touch the manual-focus ring, it jumps out, and you can't get it back manually, so you can't 'fine-tune' the focal point on the subject without moving the camera.

I rang fuji tech, and they said it should operate in manual mode at all distances, but because the camera could focus when I pressed the button, the camera therefore was not faulty. I didn't quite understand that one?

I took it into the shop, and they tried their demo model which did exactly the same.

I've had it nearly 2 weeks now I'm not impressed by the picture quality at all. I have done shots on my new 9500 & my old 2600Z(2.1mP), and the 2.1mp pics are sharper. Granted there is more detail when you zoom in but it's all soft and blurry. I just want good pics that I can print but sadly the 2.1mp pics look better on glossy paper too.

I'm going to take my printouts and the camera back to the shop and ask for a refund.

Cheers,

YorkshireBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:28 AM   #3

YorkshireBill

Yes, you're quite right, I can hear the focus motor hunting when I re-frame in manual focus too.

Otherwise, as I said in another thread, I'm delighted with the results I'm getting. The trouble is that, like you, I haven't had my camera very long, and it worries me to think that when I stop 'playing' with it, and start using it 'in anger' other issues may start to reveal themselves.

Zooming in to get focus is well established best practice, and, in my opinion, any camera that can't accommodate this technique falls well short of reasonable expectation. Fuji have been making cameras long enough, they must do better.

For what it's worth, in your position I'd be tempted to ask for a refund too, and that's a real shame. But if you can't feel confident in its abilities then you'll always have that doubt in the back of your mind.

I bought mine second-hand so I'll have to return in to Fuji and keep my fingers crossed.

In the meantime its back to my trusty old Canon EOS and Kodachrome !!
powernapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4

I have the S9000 over four months, the pictures looks good by itself, but not as good as my SONY Cybershot at 4x6 print, remember, the SONY has only 1.3 MP, the S9000 has 9 MP! Plus, the S9000 has the focus problem, S function problem....and more. Plus, Fujifilm's customer service is bad, I emailed them to ask them 3 questions related to the problems I have, but they only answer 1, and I did not satisfy the answer either. I also have the Fuji E510, I don't like it either. I told all my friends do not buy any Fuji digital camera forever!!!!
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

Yes, well now it's back in the shop and I've got a refund, so I'm now on the lookout for a decent camera around the same price range.

I can't decide whether to continue to go for a prosumer model or say sod the expense, and go DSLR.

Cheers,

Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:29 PM   #6

I think you should have read the manual. I zoom in on an object with "manual" focus set and hit the "quick focus" button on the side of the camera where the switch to manual focus is and it takes just a second to "get in the range". I zoom out and it doesn't have to hunt.

Are you shooting in "M" setting on the camera on the top or just Manual focus on the side? Or was it manual setting on the progam buch and manual focus on the side?

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:27 AM   #7

Hi Winemaker,

"I think you should have read the manual."

I think you should have read the posts a little more carefully.

There are two focus issues here (neither of which are a problem for me anymore, as I have returned my camera). One is the original post by powernapper, where the focus is lost when using zoom to frame the picture, and two, my reply, where the manual focus ring does not operate in super-macro mode unless you are at least 4" from the subject (although the camera can focus at that distance using the spot-focus button). This symptom was the same in all relevant modes.

These are faults, not operatot error, and the fact that your camera works is irrelevant

I for one have read the manual - I can quote from it. I can't speak for powernapper, but I imagine that he has read the manual as well.

Bye,

YorkshireBill (ex-9500 owner)

Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:27 AM   #8

Hi,

There are two points worth remembering about the 9500:

1. The lens was never designed to stay in focus as the lens is zoomed in or out. This differs from many older 35mm film lenses where one could zoom in, focus, and then zoom out to frame the picture, with the subject remaining in focus. The 9500 lens doesNOT work like that - it has to be refocused whenever the zoom is changed.

2. Although there is a manual focus option on the 9500, this again differs from 35mm lenses where there was direct link between the focus ring and the lens movement. The manual focus ring of the 9500 simply activates the focus motor mechanism that then alters the focus of the lens. There isNO direct linkage, it is a 'fly-by-wire' focus, so thateven ifthe manual focus is used, the focus motor will still come into operation to do the actual focusing.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:46 AM   #9

You are right MartinR about your post. On page 50 of the manual the Super Macro can focus from .4 inch to 3.3ft but is limited to ONLY wide angle. No zoom possible in Super Macro.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:16 PM   #10
Administrator

A lens must have a parfocal design to allow you to zoom in or out without losing focus.

All lenses for 35mm cameras are not parfocal designs either (and many newer lenses designed for 35mm camera or DSLR models are not, as compactness is a bigger design consideration).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote