Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

My Flash memory slot in camera was damaged by some fool so that leaves me with using the SmartMedia slot of 128MB capacity. My question is, can I get one of these SmartMedia to xD Media adapters and plug it into the SmartMedia slot in the camera and thus being able to use large capacity xD cards? I did call the manufacturer of the adapter and he said it would plug into the slot ok. I'm not 100% sure about that because there is only a smallspace between the top of the card and the small plastic door on the camera.

Hope somebody got some answers for me because I don't think its worth fixing the damaged CF slot in the camera.
JohnCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:04 PM   #2

JohnCam wrote: .. can I get one of these SmartMedia to xD Media adapters and plug it into the SmartMedia slot in the camera and thus being able to use large capacity xD cards? I did call the manufacturer of the adapter and he said it would plug into the slot ok. I'm not 100% sure about that because there is only a smallspace between the top of the card and the small plastic door on the camera.

I haven't tried one but it sure doesn't look like you can close the door, which means the KILL switch will be on. If you get past that, its an unknown whether Fuji coded the SM for anything larger than 128MB. Depends on IF they thought they would be making larger sizes at the time. My guess is they did. So, is it worth a $15 risk to try the adapter? For the KILL switch, its easy to just short it out. Its a pain in the neck anyway.
OR you can cut a slot in the door :-)

JohnCam wrote: .. Hope somebody got some answers for me because I don't think its worth fixing the damaged CF slot in the camera.

Well actually, if you have reasonable tools, its not that hard to replace the CF module. I've done 2 in the last year (and had it off years ago in my original disassembly .. http://www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html). You do need a dead CPU board though to steal a good one, I even have 1 left. Just depends on what tools you have. You need a Long flat S/Mount tip and a teeny bit of flux paste. Fuji definitely don't sell component level parts, but you can still occasionally get a dead S602 for us$50-70 and just swap the whole CPU board.

Good luck on what you end up doing.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks JKirk,

I think I'll try the adapter way first but can you explain how to disable the KILL swith on the camera's memory door. I'll let you know after all the processes if the adapter method worked. Linked to your web site and some very helpful information there and photos as well. By the way, my grandfather on my mother's side was born in Melbourne, Australia he name was John G. Melville. Thanks again!

JohnCam is offline   Reply With Quote