Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

I was out with my son and the almond trees were in full bloom.
Attached Images

Aaronss9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:45 PM   #2

As one bee photo taker to another I have one word to say

"YES"

Sel .......
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/thebee2.jpg
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/thebee.jpg

SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:42 AM   #3

Don't you guys ever get stung? :-)

Can be dangerous getting up close to those bees.

I think I'll try it one of these days.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:28 AM   #4

Not all bee's sting. The one pictured above appears to be a drone or worker bee.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:04 PM   #5

s7000:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:07 PM   #6

really really nice shot, excellent clr reproduction and comp.

fantasitc work here

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Aaron

www.postedpixels.com
Aaronss9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:05 PM   #8

Ross wrote:
Quote:
Not all bee's sting. The one pictured above appears to be a drone or worker bee.
GREAT bee pictures all !! The one on the top is a worker, and can sting. ALL workers sting and loose their stinger, as they are imperfect females and classified as workers. Drones are the 1/2 gene counterpart of the the Queen and are males and they have no stinger, neither do they visit flowers as they are incapable of gathering nectar. They have to be "fed" by the workers in a hive for their nourishment. Queens have stingers that are smooth, as opposed to barbed like the workers, and they can sting more than once, but very rarely sting a person, even if one is in your hand. They will sting another Queen bee in a rivalry duel, though.

When a Queen lays an egg she can determine at that moment if it's going to be fertile or unfertile. A worker results from the fertile egg that is not nourished with royal jelly and becomes a worker (with stinger) When the Queen lays an unfertile egg it only has half the set of genes and develops into a male bee, called a drone, and he has no stinger. His only role in life is to mate with an unfertilized Queen female in flight and dies instantly (and I DO mean instant) In the fall of the year, there is no need to keep a male around for the chance restarting a new colony and the males (drones) are driven out of the hive to starve to death. There are no drones in a winter bee hive. They(the workers of the colory)only consume honey to produce heat to keep the colony alive,nourish and care for the Queen. There is no room for a freeloaded like a drone to hang around.

I used to be a professional bee keeper when I lived back in Nebraska. You should see the pictures of a Queen on the comb with workers around her.! They tend to her and take very good care of her. She is a bit larger by 1/3 than the workers and has a similar slender build, like the workers. Drones are more blunt on the rear abdomen and have huge eyes (the better to see you with my dear! :lol: )

To find a drone you will have to be very careful around the bee hive it'self to see one. They are the only "honey bees" that are accepted from hive to hive in the summer months. All other bees (workers) smell differently from hive to hive and are not tolerated to enter another hive's colony.

just FYI *S*

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:14 AM   #9

My bee contribution. I am an amateur photographer and have only been into photography for less than a year now. My photo should be proof enough that you can get sharp focused pics with this great cam. Some might argue that you could get much better with an SLR and a prime lens and I agree, but for those who (like me) don't want to work for their hobby, this IMHO is a great camera for a small cost. :|
Attached Images

s9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:17 PM   #10

Fantastic honey bee picture! Furry little gals aren't they?? :-)
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote