Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:10 AM   #11

I have posted a picture from this area in the past, so I apologize if you're getting bored. I like to shoot in aperture preferred mode a lot because somewhere in my past reading I read that, for many lenses, the "sweet spot" is about 2 f-stops wider than the minimum aperture. So I took these yesterday at f/5.6. But I am sure I can get just as good of results on automatic. So, on Monday, I will try to take these two pictures again on automatic and post them. Sorry, I used the "save for Web" feature in Photoshop, and I think it strips all the EXIF data from the file. But basically:

f/5.6, approximately 1/400 second, ISO 80, JPEG (9 MP, fine)
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:11 AM   #12

And....
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #13

Hi Jphess, I like your two images, I don't question that your camera is working correctly, they are superb. :-)

Ian
Focus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:07 PM   #14

I played around with that tree picture a little bit. I don't know if what I have posted back is any better or not. That is a unique image to try to do anything with. But my rendition is different from the original that was posted.

A lot has been said about taking pictures with digital cameras that require NO postprocessing, like that is something that we should strive for. Maybe it's because I'm not as good a photographer as some of you. But back in the days when I was using film, if I got back 1 roll in 10 that looked the way I thought the pictures should, I really felt lucky. I don't know how many times I was disappointed with what I thought were carefully taken photographs. To get anything close to what I had hoped for meant that I had to submit the negatives for reprints. For me, that problem has been solved since I switched to digital. With a little postprocessing I can usually get what I want. My question is, do you think digital photography has become so advanced and so precise that it can accurately evaluate every possible lighting situation and subject so that the camera can produce perfect results every time? I don't think so. And yet some individuals seem to expect their digital images to be perfect every time from the camera. If anyone has such expectations I think they are better photographers than I am. We see light differently than our camera does, and I think we should be prepared to CREATE decent photographs rather than expect to push the button and have perfect results.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:02 PM   #15

Hmm its a very interesting colr cast on this image ad it seems as if it doesnt have enuf midtone contrast. i played a lil bit just quik. i think it looks beta..... i think

Just did an auto levels, reduced mid tone levels slightly, created a warm clr cast overlay, unsharp mask, recrop and bordered.

just trying to make it look a little more natural, warm filter can do wonders simlulating the sunlight.

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:04 PM   #16

some really nice shots jphess

do you like the fuji, i was considering tht cam.

ken

Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:01 PM   #17

Yes, I really do like my 9000. It is, to me, very intuitive, and I really don't have any complaints about it. I know that the DSLR cameras have bigger sensors and have the potential to produce even finer images. But for what I'm doing I'm completely satisfied with what I have. On various forums I keep reading these comparative debates over which of two cameras is the best. And all of the arguments are very compelling. The problem is, within a couple of years everything we are using well be obsolete. Who knows? By then there might even be completely new sensor technology. In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy what I have.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:38 PM   #18

well judging from your photos, they are fantastic btw seems u have a nice grip on how to use it.

i ended up with the pana fz30 and like u am very happy with it.

tx for response

ken

Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:48 PM   #19

How about an iceberg from Lake Michigan? I live about 2 miles from the lake and about 4 from where the little access park is that had several "icebergs" that drifted into the shore and got stuck there during high winds.

Attached Images

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:55 PM   #20

And a tree carved with initials that is like a "brand" forever more.

Attached Images

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote