Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1

I am on my fourth digital camera now that I have purchased the Fuji S9000. It is the most advanced camera I have ever owned. But even with that camera its very seldom that I get pictures straight from the camera that I can't improve in some way with a little work in Photoshop. I have been taking pictures in a nearby canyon over the last few weeks. And I have found that I was making the same adjustments to the pictures over and over again. So I have developed an automated workflow that is producing the results I want on a consistent basis. I'm not suggesting this workflow will suit your style of shooting but it's working very consistently for me. After downloading my images to my computer I run a batch/action in Photoshop that does the following:

1. Applies auto levels and auto color.
2. Runs another Photoshop action that is more complicated than I can explain here because I downloaded it. But it runs some sharpening routines that are quite sophisticated.
3. Runs another plug-in that I purchased from FredMiranda.com that applies some additional color correction, extends the dynamic range, and supposedly adds a "Velvia" look to my pictures. Don't look for that effect because it has a lot of adjustments to fine-tune the effect and I have saved a particular setting that I like.
4. Runs another sharpening Photoshop action which applies a high-pass filter sharpening that I had to fine-tune and decrease the opacity of the layer.
5. Flattens the image, removing any adjustment layers, and then saves the image as a tiff file in a separate folder, leaving the original JPEG unmodified.

That probably sounds like a lot of work to some of you. But it is all saved in an action that I can run and process many images while leaving the computer completely unattended. And the action does take some time. My computer here at work runs on Windows 2000 and is connected to a network. It takes that computer about five minutes to process each image. My computer at home has about the same speed of processor and is running on Windows XP and it will process images in about 90 seconds. So my workflow is to highlight a large number of images and start the batch processing, and then go do something else for awhile.

For those who demand perfect images from their camera, I know, this isn't for you. Personally, I don't care how I get the images that I want. I just want the images. So please disregard this workflow if you think it's a total waste of time. I'm going to post a couple of images that I processed through this action this morning. After the action ran, I still had to spend about 30 seconds on each image making other small adjustments. But I don't mind this kind of a workflow.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2

And.....
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote