Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1

We just got the new F10. Some of the pics using the auto mode arent coming out just right. For instance. We took a pic our the kids playing and their faces were ghost white.

What are the differences in ISO settings and which should you use them for?

I think I may be misunderstanding the true meaning of MegaPixel. For each size setting you can choose are all the pics the same quality just a different size? For what I am doing with the pics I dont need the pics at the full size. I would be fine working with 1600x1200 but dont want to loose the quality.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2

Actually, the compression ratio is different for each setting, I think the specifics are mentioned in the manual. Taking pictures in the 6MP H mode will give the best quality photos, but 6MP N will give great results as well, but you may start noticing compression if you edit and resave a few times.

I would set the ISO manually at all times, whether you use the flash or not. Were you using the flash when you took the picture? If not, try going into the M (Manual) mode, and lowering exposure compensation to -1/3. If you were using the flash, how close were you and what ISO did the camera choose. Most of the time, the flash will guage itself based on the distance of the object, but just be sure, I would manually set the ISO to 200 or so for indoors with the flash, and make sure you are at least 3 feet away from your subject unless you are using macro. Macro will raise the aperture to keep the flash from overpowering the picture at close distances.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

My wife tends to always use the flash. She is used to doing to with prior cameras.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"She did use the flash and about about 6-8 feet away I would say.

What would be a reference to when to use a paticular ISO setting?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

You are probably aware that the higher the ISO setting is, the less amount of light is needed for proper exposure. But setting for a higher ISO can introduce some noise or "graininess" to your images. So I like to shoot with as low an ISO setting as possible. Fortunately, it doesn't really cost you anything to take a bunch of pictures at different settings and evaluate them to see which settings are best suited for your style of shooting. Just take some time to experiment and find out for yourself what works best for you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote