Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1

It's been about two weeks since I last used my S602Z. I turned it on yesterday and my it was giving me a read error on my CF card (smart media card works fine). Thinking it was the card, I put a different card in; but I got the same error. It won't let me reformat the CF cards, either. The camera seems to be working fine otherwise.*Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them? Any chance someone has a fix?
enckwanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:16 PM   #2

" ... giving me a read error on my CF card (smart media card works fine) .... I put a different card in; but I got the same error. It won't let me reformat the CF cards, either"

Most likely suspect is a bent CF pin (many have done it). Use a torch to look inside the CF slot and check all the pins are THERE and not BENT. Often, you can just straighten the pin with a flat duck-billed pliers (or similar tool).
IF its not that, then either Reset the camera (batteries out overnight ++), or try to Format the CF card in a CF reader first. Even though its a small probability, it DOES happen ie cards need to be formatted outside a couple times etc or having more than 1 card that appears to fail. Good luck
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I checked for bent pins and don't see any (plus, the CF cards seem to seat in there fine). I tried formatting the CF cards on my computer a couple of times and I'm still getting the same message. Next step is to reset the camera ... so I guess the batteries will stay out for a couple of days (~24 hours didn't do it). Thankfully, my new F10 arrives tomorrow. I was a bummer to have to use smartmedia cards all weekend; they just don't hold as many high quality pix.Any other ideas???
enckwanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

Your pc formatted cards may no longer be readable by your camera unless you did it as 16bit FAT through DOS. Get a new cheapsmall CF card for testing and see if that's OK. If it is, the problem is the pc format, if still no good suspect the camera interface.

If I leave my camera for weeks, I generally put in long life alkalines to keep the memory alive then fit fresh charged re-chargeables before use. That way you don't get memory write errors trashing the card if the batteries fail.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote