Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:54 PM   #1
SSD

Default S602 Low light focus?

Hi,
Newbie here and I am seriously considering a S602. Does this camera have a low light focus assist lamp?
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2003, 3:46 PM   #2

No, but it does have full manual focus functions, with viewfinder image centre magnifier.

People use laser pointers as focus assist when in difficulties. I usually push up the f stop to f5.6 or greater if I can for more DOF, and use manual focus if I can.

Total darkness seems OK, but usually focus difficulty occurs when you have some light (e.g candle lit dinner tables) and auto focus can't decide where to focus. Had this problem with internal flash, but now use external flash, set stop to f5.6, manual focus and get excellent fast party pics.

The 602 is a feature packed camera, all cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, but at least the 602 has full manual control, with extended ISO sensitivity.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:13 PM   #3
SSD

Voxmagna

Thanks for the help! I take a lot of indoor pics of kids and animals and was wondering if this type of pic would come out ok under normal indoor lighting. Any experience with this? I am beginning to lean towards the 602 vs. the Nikon 4500 because I am pretty sure I can use my Canon 200e flash with it.

I have also heard about CF problems with the 602. What type of memory should I use? I am not to crazy about Smart media.
Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2003, 1:06 PM   #4

You can put 128Mb Smartmedia and a Microdrive in the cam at the same time and select from the menu which one to use. CF might appear better protected in a wrapper, but it has a lot of fine pins to connect - so I prefer SM, but max size is only 128Mb. CF is hairy, whilst most say it will work for normal photos (some brands write faster than others) - continuous movie mode can still be a problem. Buying really big CF memory carries a risk, unless you can try before you buy. I use 1Gb Microdrive and it works fine.

Under normal indoor lighting and handheld, you are pushing most cameras - including film. You'd definitely need to think about manual focus/exposure and white balance - all of which the 602 has, because these allow you fast shooting without the delay of the cam doing its auto things.

Don't dismiss the ISO 800 and 1600 options in the 602. OK it's 1 Mpix, but lower noise than an older 1Mpix cam. For indoor candid prints up to 6x4's I can sit on a sofa, shoot family with the zoom and I'd never get the same natural shot with a posed flash shot. Bit of noise reduction in PS and it's fine for smaller prints or email shots.

If your flash is a dedicated unit, but has an 'auto' position where you pre-set the f stop in your cam, the flash will take care of the amout of light via its own sensor. My old Cobra unit will give me 3-26 feet at f5.6 on 200ASA. That's more range and DOF (less focus error) than the internal flash which always sets f2.8 in auto. Also you can bounce the head to get nice pics without redeye.

Google to find out what the shoe voltage on your flash unit is, or measure it with an electronic multimeter when powered and charged. If it's more than 10-15 volt I'd be nervous using it on a digicam. Search this Forum posts for more info.

Cheers - VOX
Old Apr 2, 2003, 1:37 PM   #5
SSD

Thanks Vox! I appreciate the info!
Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:25 AM   #6

As far as memory goes I've had a lot of good experience with the transcend 30x 512mb cf card. have tried everything up to full length video with no problems at all.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:30 AM   #7

Yes, I saw your other post on your experience. If these are consistent, cost per Mb will become the biggest differentiating factor. So I guess MD's will drop quickly and still be cheaper? At least with a 602 you have choices!
Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:23 PM   #8

MD is still by far the cheapest mb per dollar compared to the CF cards.
Reliability is my major concern - how will MD handle being used in an MP3 player as well as the camera - will it handle the jostling etc from sports/running...?
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote