Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:28 PM   #1

I know I saw somewhere on the internet that for around $10 you can buy a cheat sheet to help you remember how to operate the S9000. But now I can't find it again. I checked Steve's review and a couple other places on the internet. Do any of you know where I can find it? Do any of you have this sheet and if so, do you find it helpful? I am finding I have to move out of the Automatic setting to get things right and then I really don't know what I am doing with setting the exposure, shutter speed, etc. I hope I am going to like this camera but there is so much more to it than the old Sony Mavica I had that used floppy disks! Thanks for any help.
Mainer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

Sorry I don't know of any cheat sheets.

But I can suggest that you use one of the other programmed modes like Apeture priority (A) orShutter Priority (S) and just take note of the settings that the camera uses. Then experiment in Manual Mode (M) with settings of your own. Just read the manual and play around with your camera to get a better idea of all the functions.

I think that any cheat sheet will leave out some aspects of the camera functions. So experiment and explore your new camera.

You can always visit the "Critiques & Techniques Forum" here for more tips and advice. Just post a few pics with a brief run down of what you did and thereis usuallysomeone that can help you out.

Just keep shooting!:-)
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3

Mainer2006, I think you were referring to PhotoBert's S9000 Cheatsheet. You can find them all over the Internet - Amazon, EBay, Adorama. Or you can buy it directly of his site at http://www.photocheatsheets.com/.

The cheatsheet helps you access your camera functions faster, but not much else.

If you want to take better pictures, like ShadowLies says, it's better to read the manual and experiment with your camera settings.
pxwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:53 PM   #4

Thanks, Shadowlies and pxwiz. Yes, I do need to spend more time experimenting to learn this camera. But I have already botched some photos taken at family gatherings because I didn't do things correctly, so I need to learn quickly. I was trying to take a lot of photos on Natural Light setting at a family gathering but always had that blur warning and sure enough, things look blurry! I guess that setting is best when used on a tripod but I would say 99% of the time, I won't be using a tripod. So I guess I have to go with the flash. I just liked the more "golden" look of the natural light. I will have to check out the various settings on Flash and see if I like some lower flash levels better.

I am afraid that if I find I have to change the settings all the time, I won't be as apt to just whip the camera out the way I did with my old Sony Mavica. That camera was very low in resolution and now only works when it feels like it, so it was time for a new camera. I wanted something that had at least a 10X zoom like the Mavica did and that could take closeups like the Mavica, so that's a big reason I settled on the Fuji. It's odd though...when I put the optical zoom at its max...10.7x...it does not look as close to me as the Sony's 10x zoom.

I will have to check out the Critiques & Techniques Forum. I will likely also buy one of the cheat sheets, though I think I may have understood most of the stuff from the manual. It's just a matter of remembering it all and knowing what the shot really calls for.

Take care and thanks for taking the time to respond!

Mainer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:29 AM   #5

If you are after a certain look in photos (like the golden glow you hinted at) it may be a situation of take the pics as needed with a flash. Then do a little work in photoshop to achieve the desired look.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:43 AM   #6

I don't think there is any substitute for reading the manual and then just taking a bunch of pictures to experiment with the different settings. You have to learn what the camera is capable of doing, but then you also need to discover how the camera is going to perform when you take pictures using your style and allowing for your inadequacies. And that statement was not made in a derogatory manner. I quite shaky, and when I taking pictures I always have to use a tripod. If we are in a situation where the tripod is totally impractical, I will hand the camera to someone who is with me and I will have them take the pictures, but I will instruct them on what settings I want them to use.

The Natural Light mode requires some special handling, and probably isn't really suitable for taking snapshots or even group shots at family gatherings. At least that would be my assessment of how I take pictures. I realize that the natural light mode would not work for me in those situations. I have gotten the best results by just putting the camera on Auto and using the flash in those situations. I don't think there is a cheat sheet anywhere that can teach you how to take perfect pictures every time. I have seen some outstanding macro photos from the 9000/9500. But all of my attempts at macro photography so far have produced dismal results. I have been very disappointed, not in the camera, but in my lack of the experience and ability, and lack of care in setting up the shots. I have, lately, been able to take a couple of macro shots that show some improvement, but they still aren't anything suitable for showing to anyone. But again that isn't the camera's fault. I just need to keep working on my skills.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:07 PM   #7
Administrator

Mainer2006 wrote:
Quote:
I wanted something that had at least a 10X zoom like the Mavica did and that could take closeups like the Mavica, so that's a big reason I settled on the Fuji. It's odd though...when I put the optical zoom at its max...10.7x...it does not look as close to me as the Sony's 10x zoom.
It's not as long.

Some of the Mavicas like the FD95 had a lens that was equivalent to 40-400mm (compared to a 35mm camera).

The Fuji S9000 has a lens that's equivalent to 28-300mm.

So, the Mavica's lens is longer at 400mm versus the Fuji's 300mm (and Mavica's lens is also stabilzed).

Never go by the x ratings when comparing zoom lenses (1x, 2x, 3x, etc.). They don't tell you anything about how wide or long a lens is. All they tell you is the difference between the widest and longest zoom settings.

But, for closeups, most users wouldn't try to use the zoom for that. Instead, they'd use their camera's macro focus mode and move closer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:28 AM   #8

You could make your own, read through the manual again(which will also help), and note which pages you want the info from. Then get the pdf file of the manual online or possibly on the software that came with the camera. Cut out the info and paste it into a new document, print it up. You will then have only the info you want.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:50 PM   #9

Try this place

http://www.photocheatsheets.com/?n=31

Rick
Rick Berber is offline   Reply With Quote