Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:52 PM   #11

kefln wrote:
Quote:
The camera seems to automatically register which one is in use.
No, it doesn't. When you switch on the external flash option in the menu you deactivate the AUTO mode of the built-in flash. If you raise the built-in unit (ext. flash is still in "ON" position) and take a shot you will see that the image is grossly underexposed (by at least 2-3 stops) and the built-in flash fires in "FORCED" or "FILL-IN" mode at it's minimal power. This is not a bug, it's a documented feature of the camera. - The camera gives you an option to activate remote slave flash without adding toomuch additional light to the final image. When you use this feature take into account that PC terminal and the hot shoe are disabled and the flash connected to any of them will not fire. Just have a look at p.72 of the owner's manual.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:39 PM   #12

From the PDF user manual, page 72:

"If you pop up the built-in flash when the external flash is set
to "ON", the built-in flash fires once as a signal for the
external flash to fire. The hot shoe and the Synchronizing
terminal do not make a signal for flash."

I have never tried this, but it seems to tell me that the hot shoe is de-activated and the built-in flash triggers a slave flash that is attached to the hot shoe.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:23 PM   #13

OK, guys.

I really want to clarify things a little. To avoid confusion: slave flash is a flash that can be triggered remotely ( optically, by IR or radio transmitter) when you take a picture with your camera. You can trigger your slave flash by a light sensitive slave unit attached to a hot-shoe or a PC connector of your flash gun (a 10 years old Vivitar 283 in my case) or incorporated into many flash guns or studio flashes (like my also old Portaflash 336VM studio flash). You can look at those here (the little guy sitting between the stand and the flash):

An external flash connected to a camera's hot-shoe directly or by an extension cord or a PC lead is just that -an externalflash and not a slave flash, because it is triggered directly by a camera and not remotely. I really hope that I haven't lost you already:-).

Now, back to our Fuji and it's flash problems. I spent 30 min checking all possible combinations and here are the results:

1) Ext. flash is OFF (in the menu), build-in flash on AUTO - properly exposed image of the HP printer in front of me. PC sync terminal is disabled andflash connected to it does not fire.

2) The same as 1 + studio flash with built-in slave sensor. Both flashes fired resulting in overexposed image.

3) The same as 1 + Vivitar with Jessop minicell slave sensor set to the same ISO and F number asthe camera. Both flashes fired, a bit less overexposed image.

It's not possible to mount a flash on a hot-shoe connector when the built-in flash is raised.

4) Ext. flash is ON (in the menu), build-in flash is raised (it switches on in FORCED mode). - Underexposed image. PC sync terminal is disabled andflash connected to it does not fire.

5) The same as 4 + Vivitar with Jessop minicell slave sensor set to the same ISO and F number asthe camera. Both flashes fired. Almost correct exposure (probably too close).

6) Ext. flash is ON (in the menu), build-in flash is closed. Hot-shoe mounted Vivitar fires and gives a correct exposure.

7) Ext. flash is ON (in the menu), build-in flash is closed. A studio flash connected to the PC sync terminal fires and gives a correct exposure.

8) Ext. flash is ON (in the menu), build-in flash is closed + hot-shoe mounted Vivitar + studio flash connected to the PC sync terminal. - Both flashes fired.

9) Ext. flash is ON (in the menu), build-in flash is closed + hot-shoe mounted Vivitar + studio flash with built-in slave unit active. - Both flashes fired.

That's it, guys. I really hope, it will be useful to someone out there. :roll:

Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:50 PM   #14

I'm not as dumb as you seem to think. I think you misquoted things a little bit yourself. I was just quoting from the manual.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:36 AM   #15

Hi, Algold.

Thankyou for that test of all combinations it will be extremely usefull in the future. I have printed it out and have a copy in my camera case already!.

davrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:18 AM   #16

Wow Algold! That kept you busy for a while huh? Impressive test – thanks!

I haven't performed as detailed a study of all the ins and outs so I'll have to bow to your greater knowledge on it. I can however talk from personal experience. When I first used the hot-shoe I switched the external flash on in the menu. Since then that menu option has remained on. But I haven't suffered from underexposure when I pop up the built in flash. Now those could be situational results, rather than "true" tests. I'll keep an eye on it in the future.

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:51 PM   #17

Thank you for your kind words, but actually I was just curious of what was going on with this Fuji's flash. Because I bought this camera not long ago and still not completely familiar with it, and one of the reasons for an upgrade was 9500's flash capability, I really wanted to check it for myself first of all. Sounds a bit selfish, doesn't it?

kefln wrote:
Quote:
...When I first used the hot-shoe I switched the external flash on in the menu. Since then that menu option has remained on. But I haven't suffered from underexposure when I pop up the built in flash. ...
If you shoot your pictures in half-decent light you can get more pleasing images, than you would have got with a flash in full AUTO mode, because your flash in FORCED mode at reduced power fills in and lifts up shadows without overpowering the existing light.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:09 PM   #18

I usually prefer to shoot in manual or aperture priority. With the 9000 and the pop-up, we are limited to using the "auto" modes, not unlike most of the newer digicams with built-in flashes. I prefer to use my Sunpak 422 mounted on the hot show, which allows me to shoot in manual mode. When time is an issue, I just switch to auto and let the built-in flash do its job.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote