Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:15 PM   #1

I'm owner of s9000 and i was having some problems takenpictures with flash, sometimes they are dark.

Des any body know if this is a problem or just bad set of camera

tks.
jpestofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:54 PM   #2

If it happens sometimes, as you said, there are two possible reasons:

1) The flash is out of range (youare too far from the object you are trying to photograph). In AUTO ISO the camera's flash range is up to 5.6 m at wide-angle and up to 3m at telephoto end.

2) The flash was not fully charged when you pressed the shutter release button and took the picture (or took several pics in a row). The camera doesn't lock and lets you take the pic even when the flash is up and still charging. As a result you pic is dark, because the flash did not fire.

If this happens all the time, probably the flash exposure compensation is set to a negative value in the camera's setup.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:03 AM   #3

The (internal) flash on the S9.. doesn't work.
Seems to be a software problem - there are several other threads.
This is particularly disappointing as I found that the flash on the S5000 I had before was amazingly powerful for a built-in unit.
On the S9.. I use external flash always when possible.
You can sometimes get reasonable exposure on the internal unit with AUTO mode but otherwise forget it.
I really think Fuji should sort it out.

mickey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:33 AM   #4

Switching on the external flash in the camera's setup disables the built-in flash. To enable the built-in flash you have to go to the setup and set the external flash to "OFF". The camera doesn't recognise the external flash automatically and you can't use built-in and external flashes at the same time, it's "either...or" situation.

In my short experience with 9500 the built-in flash produces good results with natural skin tones, although I have to admit, that the S5500's flash was a bit more powerful, and I do prefer my old Vivitar 283 with this camera.

HTH, unless you really have a faulty built-in flash
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:07 PM   #5

I have no problems with the internal flash at all...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

I don't have any problems with the built-in flash either. But then I am such an unsophisticated photographer that when I take flash pictures (with the built-in flash) I always set the camera on the Auto mode.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:57 AM   #7

You and me too Jim - I find it works quite well when I have the least to do with the process :G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:09 AM   #8

Hi!. Sorry to here you have flash problems with your s9500. I have had my S9500 since dec. 2005 and have taken loads of shots with both the internal flash and a 20 year old Olympus dedicated flash without any problems. The s9500 is particularly intelligent when all is set to auto and using internal flash and never seems too overexpose or wash (too much) colour. If you use external flash you must turn it on manually in the menu. I have had the best results setting up the flash gun in manual mode. For some unknown reason I had problems using Aperture Priority and the external flash so I tend to use Shutter priority or manual.

davrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9

I haven't had any issues with either the external or internal flash.

I have however taken a few dull photo's with the internal flash, mainly down to user error. ie being out of the camera's flash range.

When I started to use an external flash I just used the menu to switch the function on. Since then I have no problems switching between the two, nor do I have to go through the menu repeatedly. The camera seems to automatically register which one is in use.
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:01 PM   #10

Some people seem to shy away from using the Auto mode for anything. I agree that you relinquish a lot of control when you do that. But when it comes to flash photography, on-camera flash is never flattering to the subject. The light is flat, harsh, and not at all conducive to good portraits. And if you turn the camera to shoot in the "portrait" or vertical orientation, and there is a wall close behind the subject, you always get those hideous strong shadows.

My point is that if you have to use on-camera flash with your subject it isn't likely that you are going to get one of those award-winning photos that warrant all the extra attention that some of the other shooting modes of the camera require. So I think it is just easier to set the camera on Auto and get the picture as easily and quickly as I can. It hasn't failed me yet.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote