Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:30 AM   #131

Hi,

I've had my s9500 since January 2006 and over that period have followed this thread closely - whilst being relieved that my camera seemed to be one of the reliable ones out there. Well, two weeks ago, I was off on holiday to the Isle of Skye in Scotland and the command dial broke on the very first day! I was gobsmacked, not least because this part of the world is renowned for its sunsets at this time of the year. I spent the whole holiday with the camera on auto, and as many of you here know only too well, auto is not the 9500's strongest setting. I got some 'record' shots but was severely limited given the constantly changing light and lack of controls to cater for it.

Fortunately, my better half had taken out a special insurance policy with PC World, which means that it is away being repaired f.o.c. as I write. Hopefully, it will come back with a much stronger command dial fitted, and will continue to serve me well in the future. I have to be honest though, if they had offered to replace it I'd have been angling for a Pentax K110d which is selling here for around £229 with lense.

Bob
bob_leitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:58 AM   #132

My 9000 is at the Fuji repair center in New Jersey right now for a broken command dial replacement. The camera is out of warranty, so I'm at the point of waiting to be told how much the repair is going to cost. Since they wouldn't repair another problem during the warranty period because it was not a "common" problem with this model, I suspect they will charge me their estimated maximum of $225 to fix this one.

I could have had a new digital SLR for what I have invested in this camera plus repairs. This is my last Fuji! I'm very disappointed with their build quality. The camera takes nice pictures. But it seems that Fuji considers their cameras to be disposable, not something they want to be responsible for repairing.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:31 PM   #133

That's just ridiculous money for a repair that shouldn't have been necessary! I wouldn't have got mine repaired free but for the fact that my wife thought it prudent to take out insurance in case I dropped the camera (i'm a bit unsteady on my feet). Thank goodness she did. For the cost of repair you could almost buy the Pentax K110D that I mentioned earlier. I hate feeling so powerless in the face of what is a huge corporation happily taking our money and then refusing to provide a decent service commensurate with the price they charge for their products.

Hope you get good news about your camera and that they do the decent thing and repair it free of charge.

bob
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:22 PM   #134

Well, maybe I complained a little bit too soon. I received my first e-mail from Fuji on Tuesday telling me that they had received the camera and that I would be getting a quote for the cost of the repair. Just a few minutes ago I received an e-mail telling me that my camera has been shipped. So it sounds like they repaired it at no cost.

The other repair that I thought Fuji should have covered involved having the USB port fall inside the camera. The camera was still under warranty, but Fuji said that was not a common problem with the 9000, and it cost me $125 have it repaired. Hopefully this will end my repairs. No, this WILL end my repairs. If it breaks again I will launch a major campaign to convince my wife to let me get something else. Time will tell. I will report again after I get the camera back.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:55 PM   #135

Well, for what it's worth, my camera got back to me today from the Fuji repair center. The command dial is fixed, no charges. It looks like everything is fine. But I haven't taken any pictures yet.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:48 PM   #136

Hi,

I got word today from PCWorld. Because of a foul up with Parcel-line and also Fuji having a shortage of the command dial parts, not to mention the camera having sat in the store for 20 days, they are offering to replace the camera under the terms of the insurance policy I took out with them. This means I've got £400 to spend on any new camera they can supply. I'm very taken with the Pentax K100d partly because of the anti shake but also because I've tried my sister-in-law's k110d and was impressed with the pictures it takes. But I'm also considering the Nikon d40 and the olympus e400. I could have plumped for a fuji s6500fd but to be honest I was beginning to feel the limitations of the slow reactions of the 9500 and didn't ever like the evf for focussing. What I will miss though is the 28-300 zoom and the movie mode.

cheers,

Robert
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:48 AM   #137

Plumped for the Nikon D40. Left the shop with £64 change and will be applying for Nikon's £60 cash back offer too. To say I got a result would be a big understatement. Should be able to get the 55 to 200 lens to give me the same range as I had on the 9500.

Glad to hear you got yours back at no charge, hope it's in tip top condition for you too.

Cheers
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:50 PM   #138

Well, the inevitable happened, twice. We purchased our S9000 in early Dec. 2005. On March 29th, 2007, the command dial finally went out in between shots. The camera was almost 4 months past warranty and had taken almost 11,000 photos/movies during that period.

I sent the camera to the Fuji Repair Center in Edison, NJ along with the repair form. In the problem field, along with mentioning the problem, I explained that I had heard from other S9000 customers that the repair had been performed as a "warranty repair" even if the camera was beyond the 1 year warranty.

Within a week of sending it off, I received a letter and an email from Fuji Repair confirming that they'd received it and that the repair would be be performed free of charge as a warranty repair even though it was 4 months past its warranty period.

Two weeks later, the camera arrived in perfect working condition. The command dial has a more solid tactile feel to it and the click sound it makes when using it is more pronounced than the original dial.

To my surprise, another issue was fixed in the process. The focus check button had never worked since we had the camera and now it works.

Then, the command dial went out again on June 22nd. Also, the focus check button quit working at the same time. We sent it off to the repair facility in New Jersey and within two weeks it was shipped back to us in full working order. Again, they repaired it for free as an under warranty repair and returned the rechargeable batteries and lens cap that we forgot to take out/off the camera.

I'm hoping this will be the last time it goes bad.
earthsound is offline   Reply With Quote