Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:22 AM   #11

Here is a follow up to my command dial problem. I have spoken to Fuji's technical department in Oslo and was treated in a very professional way. The man I spoke too assured me that they have not heard of this problem from any other user in Norway.

I have now delivered the camera to the firm in Bergen (who are an independent firm responsible for repairing most major makes of camera in Norway) and they have had no s9500 in for repair with this problem. I have been told that the repair usually will take days rather than weeks! I can even follow the progress of the repair through the internett in the same way one follows a postal package!!

I feel a much more relieved and really do suspect this is a limited quality problem.

Whatever one seems to buy nowadays usually have a problem! In the last 2-3 years I have bought the following (that I can remember) all which have had to be returned for repair or replaced
- DVD surround sound system
- Casio Digcam
- 2 cheap MP3 players
- Apple Ipod
- VW Polo (before that Audi A3)
- Mobil telephone
- various electronic toys

One can only guess that even the simplest article is usually so technical complex it is impossible for modern QA systems to weed out every fault.

I am already missing my s9500 so I hope it comes back soon in fully working order.

David
davrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:16 AM   #12

Hi David, I saw your post on DPR and was about to copy the link here when I discovered you'd already posted. Sounds like Fuji Service in your part of the world really have their act together

From what you describe it sounds very much to me like the command dial spindle is 'stressing'. If you were having to turn three clicks on the thumb dial toachieve one stepin adjustment it means that the 'contact' end of the assembly is not turning in kilter with the thumb end ie its sticking somewhere in the camera and thedifferential movement is being absorbed by the spindle itself (twisting motion) until it finally shears. That's my take on it - but I could very well be wrong. Would love to take a 9500 apart to have a 'good look'. Not about to experiment on mine though:G

Hope you come right -maybe youshould ask Fuji to describe thedesign of the Command Dial and where exactlyit failed in your case. I'm imagining that the thumb dial is connected to a spindle which inturn connects to a cam in a 'pot' of sorts. If the cam is sticking inside the pot/housing then that would stress the connecting spindle when you turn the thumb dial.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:12 PM   #13

Hi Steve

Thankyou for your intelligent guesswork on the potential causeof my failed Command dial.I would love to dismantle it myself. As Iwrote in the my follow up post the firm that repairs the camera is a sub-contracter that many of the major camera firms use for reparation work. Hopefully when I fetch the camera it may be possible to talk to the engineer who repaired the camera to explain the mechanism and more importantly how and why it failed.

As you my have gathered from my posts I relly do believe this is a good and incredibly flexible camera. I never print out photes on greater than A4 so find the picture quality astounding after a little PP in Photoshop.

Keep you informed

David
davrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:48 PM   #14

I'm very happy with mine and I'm more than satisfied with the pics I've been getting from it just recently. Print quality is excellent and I'm finding there is a lot more to this camera than I initially thought - great, each session is a new learning experience and I can't see me getting bored with it for quite a while to come.

I'm sure your problem will be sorted out - I would imagine that these Command Dial reportsmay well be related to just a 'bad' batch of the particular component concerned. Hopefully that is the case as I still can't see thatit really sustains that much load - not fromstudying mine's action,at least. Would be great if you could get to have a word with the technician - a pic of the broken component itself would be first prize!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:13 PM   #15

ACK

Just postedyesterday withmuch improvedphotos from my repaired/returned s9000. I also treat my camera with kid gloves and carry in an excellent case.

But now my command dial has stopped working! It worked for a couple fo shots yesterday, then stopped. nothing--nada. Nice clicking sound and feel, just nothing happening in response.

I spoke with Fujiand the polite reptold me they could only fix it, but after some conversation with her manager, they are sending a postage paid label andadvise they will be exchanging my camera for a new one as this is the second repair needed. I was told that all parts would be checked before the replacement is shipped.

I've neverneeded to returna camera for repair before and hope this particular one just happens to be a lemon.

Teresa
Tzurunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:41 PM   #16

Fuji have had batch problems with the Mode Dial Unit, on and off for ages, mostly on the S602. Nothing inheritantly in the design (even though its was pretty lousy), but definitely a weak point. This is a pic of the S602, I cant see it changing that much for the S9500 and would assume that they are still having problems.
http://www.pbase.com/digsys/image/17103229/medium
More notes at - http://www.digsys.com.au/S602Z/S602Z.html
Worst case, the part is CHEAP and easy to fit, so nothing to get up in arms about :-)
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:20 AM   #17

Thanks for that JK - that's really helpful

You'd think by now they would have addressed the issue though! (I did seeone of the Canons (20D?)suffering a similar malady at some stage - so it would appear we are not alone) But it does seem dumb to allow a problem to linger for apparently such a simple component.

Since we've got you on the line so to speak - what is the story with the 9500's EVF rubber eye-piece? I wouldn't mind 'popping it off' to clean the eyepiece but am hesitant totry justin case it's base is enclosed in the camera body. Can it be removed, do you know?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:57 AM   #18

SteveDak wrote
Quote:
- what is the story with the 9500's EVF rubber eye-piece? I wouldn't mind 'popping it off' to clean the eyepiece but am hesitant totry justin case it's base is enclosed in the camera body. Can it be removed, do you know?
Unfortunately, it is clipped from inside, so you have to remove the rear section Plus the Top section. Then it quite easy to remove BUT the lens of the EVF is tricky, as there are loose bits (the worm drive that adjusts the diopter). I don't know what the dern glass is coated with, but even that is difficult to clean perfectly, even when its out.
Even my favourite LCD antistatic cleaning foam doesnt do a decent job. I live with it :-)
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:11 PM   #19

Thanks again JK - I'm glad I asked. I had a tentative look and got the impression it was probablyencased within the body. Found a LensPen does a reasonable job of cleaning it but difficult to work with in the confined space.

had a look at the 602 photo and it's a bit difficult to see what the command dial detail is - I'm assuming there's a 'pot' of sortsdirectly under the thumb piece and carrier plate?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:17 PM   #20

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Fuji have had batch problems with the Mode Dial Unit, on and off for ages, mostly on the S602. Nothing inheritantly in the design (even though its was pretty lousy), but definitely a weak point. This is a pic of the S602, I cant see it changing that much for the S9500 and would assume that they are still having problems.
http://www.pbase.com/digsys/image/17103229/medium
More notes at - http://www.digsys.com.au/S602Z/S602Z.html
Worst case, the part is CHEAP and easy to fit, so nothing to get up in arms about :-)
JKirk

So, where would one get a new command wheel and parts? Could an extreme but willing novice dare the repair without fear of destroying the camera?

Thanks for the interesting post. Glad to know home repair might be a future option if needed.

Teresa
Tzurunkle is offline   Reply With Quote