Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:26 AM   #21

Tzurunkle wrote:
Quote:
So, where would one get a new command wheel and parts? Could an extreme but willing novice dare the repair without fear of destroying the camera?
Teresa
Fuji DO sell spare parts and except for the CCD-Lens, are quite cheap. However, their policy seems to change all the time and often are rude. If you are a service company (or can ask one to deal with them), its definitely easier. BUT, they're still pretty rude as I guess they prefer ONLY to deal with their exclusive dealers. So, depending on the country and the dealer, it can be done (and many have succeeded).
I used to have heaps of mode dial units, but now only 2 (Full top sections) left. I'd used to have a good spare parts Inventory from dead cammies, but they're hard to find now. Often, users are too lazy to send them in, and just dump them. Pity.

In the last 3+yrs, many many hundreds of people have done their own repairs, with very few failures (various reasons). I personally have a couple hundred emails, I couldn't even guess how many more that don't let me know. MANY of them have never / or would never have attempted a repair before. Basically, read through my site and get a "feel" of whats involved and go from there. You don't need many tools, just a good feel for squeezing, wiggling, popping and jiggling :-) Everything is covered, and Im happy to answer questions (here or email).
The Rear section is very easy, the Top section Section not too bad at all. I used to bag the S602/7000 as the worst [email protected] I'd ever repaired, but in the years since, I've seen many other makes / models and now have a VERY different opinion :-)

Worst case, you can always send me the cammie to fix any muck-up, I don't charge for time and Standard airmail postage is quite cheap and reliable. It's happened :-)
Anyway, have a read and see how you go. Best wishes.

JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:30 AM   #22

Go Teresa ! :G

I think I can honestly say that I am a reasonably 'technically competent' person, butIwould think more thantwice before dismantling this camera.

There are more and more components these days that need handling in a manner that is not immediatley obvious to the layman. Personally I wouldn't risk it but that's just my personal opinion (and of course warranty issues are a consideration).

I understand yourreasoning though!

PS If you do feel an uncontrollable urge to pull it apart please record every step forour benefit - not sure how you would do that though if your camera is in pieces in front of you:G
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:17 PM   #23

Sorry, I postedabout the same time as JK & didn't see his reply - Follow JK's advice on these matters rather than mine. Seems that it might well be an option after all.

Would still rather have the likes of JK working on my camera than myself though:G
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:20 PM   #24

JK,

I did look at your site and it's terrific &informative--thank youfor the great details! I will definitely keep all that in reserve as a future possibility.. Plus,the knowledge that you KNOW how to fix the things and do is probably the best thing to have in reserve as well! I will wait and see first what Fuji is actually going to do and if the new s9000 works without a hitch for a while. I believe, I believe, I believe......I'm sure this was a fluke with the broken command wheel following the lense replacement. I believe...

And Steve, I will takemacro shotsand copious notes if Ibecome overwhelmed with the urge or need to take the camera apart. I have lots of cameras at my disposal--my own Sony DSC-P150 (excellent camera, tack-sharp photos every time), as well as a variety of others as I am the yearbook photog for my school and the purchaser of all digital camera equipment (Kodak, Cannon, and Minolta).

Thanks, both of you for the good information!!

Teresa

Tzurunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:24 AM   #25

I got my S9500 back Monday!. Unfortuanetly I did not get to speak to the technician who repaired my camera. The technician I did speak to obviously could not comment on my camera but he suggested that heavy usage of the command dial could lead to breakage on any camera. The only comment on the repair report I got with the camera was that they have changed the 'camera top'. It seems to me that they have actually replaced the right hand side of the camera top as all the dials and buttons feel much stiffer to use. The power-on dial is much stiffer to use and of course the command dial has a totally different feel.

With regards my earlier posting it now appears that one click of the command dial adjusts the aperture one stop or the shutter speed one setting. BUT I did notice when I used the camera again today that it appeared to miss a click when I tried to adjust the aperture quickly the other day. (that is it took two clicks to adjust one aperture stop) if I move the command dial carefully one click = one aperture stop.

As opposed to Steve I will not be especially carefull and will continue to use the camera in a normal way, if it breaks again in the next three months I will simply demand a replacement from Fuji. Fuji's own adverts on the back of every major camera mag. regarding 'Travel Photographer of the year' suggests the camera is built to high standards and can be used anywhere in the world!!.

Other than the top part of the camera being replaced everything functions OK and the picture quality is as good as ever. The repair actually only took 5 working days, excellent service!!
davrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:38 AM   #26

davrus wrote:
Quote:
The repair actually only took 5 working days, excellent service!!
I think that probably ranks as some kind of record, judging by some of the posts:G

Good news Davrus! Hope that's the end of your problems and you are right, one shouldn't have to treat it with anything other then due care but I don't think I could face a repair job if I can possibly avoid it.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:18 PM   #27

davrus wrote:
Quote:
... he suggested that heavy usage of the command dial could lead to breakage on any camera. The only comment on the repair report I got with the camera was that they have changed the 'camera top'.

... I did notice when I used the camera again today that it appeared to miss a click when I tried to adjust the aperture quickly the other day.

... if it breaks again in the next three months I will simply demand a replacement

Other than the top part of the camera being replaced everything functions OK and the picture quality is as good as ever. The repair actually only took 5 working days, excellent service!!
1/ ROFL It amazes me that they still try that [email protected] :-) with ALL the posts on the problem in Forums around the world. Nothing changes. Its nice they changed the entire body section, its not hard to just change the dial unit (unless they broke something :-) ).
2/ Thats common and NOT a fault. Its called switch debounce / function delay. Its actually an art to perfect and prevents inadvertant damage should someone try pressing all buttons at once, as an example.
3/ I'd bet it was JUST a batch fault and you won't see it again, sfter all there are probably 10,000s out there working fine. IF it does though, go for their throat :-)

Seeing as its a 15 min job that I'm SURE they knew about, thats at least good news. All's well that ends well.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:15 PM   #28

SteveDak wrote:

I will agree it is some kind of record. My camera was sent away over 5 weeks ago for a fix of the command dial. I'm still waiting to get it back. :sad:
Quote:
davrus wrote:
Quote:
The repair actually only took 5 working days, excellent service!!
I think that probably ranks as some kind of record, judging by some of the posts:G

Good news Davrus! Hope that's the end of your problems and you are right, one shouldn't have to treat it with anything other then due care but I don't think I could face a repair job if I can possibly avoid it.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 5:52 AM   #29

Bought my s9500 in april,the command dial just stopped working this morning:sad:
bettyswolloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 8:38 AM   #30

It would be helpful if a parts drawing or an exploded view was available. Does anyone have one? Or maybe a full Service Manual!
It seems by the postings here and at other forms such as DP that there is a significant problem with the command dial. So far it looks like a case of under engineering. Probably the usual thing... designed by a designer, not an engineer!
My experience in these things is that it's the engineers who have to sort out the mess and come up with an improved/modified part or they just get more flack from customer/owners. That is quite understandable although the engineers were not reponsible for the original fault.
I had it all with KIS processing equipment as I was Chief Engineer here then Head of UK Tech Dept. and found the only way to get a quiet life was to sort out the problems with my own engineering team.
dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote