Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 20, 2006, 9:55 AM   #31

Preventitive Modification.

A solution to this might be to dismantle the top plate of the camera so as to get at both ends of the knob and shaft.
Using an engineers' precision bench drill it might be possible to drill down the length of the shaft and insert a steel or brass pin set with epoxy resin adhesive and finished flush with the top and bottom of the knob and its shaft.
This would have the effect of re inforcing the shaft so that it would not break.
Before doing this it would be useful to see a drawing of the sub assembly or the relevant part of a Service Manual or perhaps just photographs of a dismantled top plate.

Regards,
dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:24 AM   #32

Regarding the S9500 command dial problem, I have been giving it a bit of thought. My background is electronics, and I am having second thoughts on this broken shaft theory. I would think that the command dial would rotate an optical disk inside the top of the camera via the shaft and this would be monitored by an optical sensor and software would detect the movement steps and adjust the F stops, shutter speeds etc. accordingly. I don't feel any mechanical resistance when I rotate my command dial which makes me feel that the mechanism is not mechanical but optical. I believe that the problems reported by users are not mechanical but maybe software or optical related, if this is the case, it won't matter how firmly or gently you rotate the dial. Pics show a broken stem, but maybe this was broken while the owner was removing the dial!

Maybe other members who have an electronics background, could give this theory some thought.

Nev Cross

Australia:|
Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 1:54 PM   #33

Hi Steve, add me to the list concerning inoperative command dials.....My s9000 was only bout 3 months old and its stop working.....I sent back to fuji and 3 weeks later I got the camera back, and nothing was done command dial still broken.

Called them and now I am waiting for the prepayshipping tag and back off it goes. I just off its not for another 3 weeks....After that I dont what to expect after reading threads on diffrent forums....

I wish Fuji would adapttothe replacement parts you have referred to in these treads

Thanks again, JIM

jamcrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 10:31 PM   #34

Has anyone actually seen this shaft, the pics only show the bottom of the dial, there is no shaft in the camera body! If the shaft was attached to some mechanism underneath it should be sticking up through the hole. We have assumed that the dial turned a shaft, what if the dial contains a transponder which rotates over sensors, have a look at the pic of the inside of the assembly, you see 4 raised humps with what looks like black circles in them, could these be sensors? When you open the card compartment and look up at the section where the command dial is you can see that there is not much room for a shaft to be going down to some mechanical linkage. I do think that the failures might be electronic in nature rather than mechanical.

Nev Cross

Australia:|
Nev Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 6:20 AM   #35

My view is there must be a shaft, however short it may be.

There is another lengthy technical thread running on this subject at dpreview.com

Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:26 AM   #36

Thanks for this excellent forum.

After weeks got the replacement camera following the command dial problems and a previous repair. Although I've had very little time to play with the new camera, this one is taking excellent images--sharp, colorful, well exposed. A joy! I only have one image to attach--it's another flower from the front yard.

I have not given the command dial much of a workout. I plan to use it A LOT during the next few months and hope this one will not break.

Teresa
Attached Images

Tzurunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:15 AM   #37

Hi, haven't posted here before so forgive me if I do something wrong (don't know what exactly, but anyway)....bought my s9500 in April 2006, the command dial simply stopped working a few weeks ago....no sudden impacts, no apparent reason for the malfunction. It's been sent off and now I wait with baited breath. Thought I'd add this disappointment to the list....if I have any light shed on the problem by Fuji I will share it with you.*Thanks!!
zzztimzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:45 AM   #38

What is the serial number of your s9500? And, where are you....UK?
Please post and tell us how you get on.
Best regards,
David
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:59 PM   #39

Don't actually know the serial number now I've sent it off...should've made a note, but am UK resident, bought from www.purelygadgets.co.uk , they're based in London....
zzztimzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:31 AM   #40

The serial number is on various documents including the Guarantee card and registration document, the box and maybe on the Bill of Sale.
It is worth keeping a check on numbers as it has been known for cameras to be replaced rather than repaired and the last thing you need is an older/earlier camera than the one you purchased.
But, importantly, it helps Steve Dak who is logging s9000's and 9500's for faults or not.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
David