Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:38 AM   #41

Bought mine around May 22 and today I suspect I'm the newest victim of the command dial wheel failure ... have to make a trip to Taipei tomorrow to bring it in at the dealer or maybe i just phone Fuji and ask what to do ...
Darn ...

Meanwhile I attach a pic taken on Friday when it's still working ... sudden death ... strange

It's one of my architecture pics a little worked on in PS
Attached Images

belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:55 PM   #42

I did in fact make a note of the serial number!*It is: 61L50411Regards,Tim
zzztimzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:59 AM   #43

Mine is 61Q11812 and I was getting the impression that failures noted by Steve Dak seemed in the 54xxxx range. Yours is the first I have seen in the 61xxxx so now I'm getting worried.

What is the serial number of your camera Belgian?

Best regards

David
dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:09 PM   #44

dgosden wrote:
Quote:
Mine is 61Q11812 and I was getting the impression that failures noted by Steve Dak seemed in the 54xxxx range. Yours is the first I have seen in the 61xxxx so now I'm getting worried.

What is the serial number of your camera Belgian?

Best regards

David

me too mine is 61L54xxx :sad:
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:17 AM   #45

53L51977 faulty S9500 firmware 1.02

command dial and power switch (doesn't switch on sometimes)
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:57 PM   #46

Hello there folks,I*have just heard from the company that supplied my s9500 (www.purelygadgets.co.uk) whose policy it is to check faulty items before sending them to the manufacturer for repair. They tell me that* they can find no fault with the camera.....I am in no doubt that I sent them a faulty s9500 even getting a few 'switched on' friends to check it out before I sent off, just in case I was been extremely stupid.This is really worrying, and not just because I will be liable for the cost of sending and returning items that are found to be without fault....I have seen Firmware issues mentioned as* a possible cause for this fault. Being paranoid, but does anyone know if it would be possible for said company to update the firmware, curing the problem without the need for invasive repair and then lumber me with the carriage? Unlikely perhaps but I am at a loss to understand how the camera fixed itself between my house and their depot!!Has anyone heard of this problem fixing itself? I'll let you know how this unfolds. Have replied and been quite adamant that I sent them a faulty camera so until I hear different it's their word against mine.* Drama!!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:42 AM   #47
Baz

I've had a S9500 since Dec 2005. It has been working well.

After following this forum for some months, I am very aware of the command dial problems, and closely watching mine. All has been well until 2 days ago.

The dial has not broken, but turning the dial had no effect on the shutter/aperture settings in the P program shift mode. I use the P mode frequently, but on checking the other ASM modes the command dial did change the shutter/aperture settings.

It occurred to me that this may not be a hardware fault, but maybe camera software?
I wondered if there was a camera "reset" option, and yes there is. It is in the setup menu options (P100 in the manual). Resets all (except a few) camera settings to factory default values. Worth a try, and so I did the reset. Good news. It appears to have fixed the problem, and now the dial works as it should.

I'm not sure if this reset feature has been mentioned here previously. It may be an option for some command dial problems where the dial is not broken.

Baz.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:34 AM   #48

[align=left]Hello Baz,[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]I did in fact try a factory reset (someone else made that suggestion to me!) but it didn't fix the problem....am definitely left confused by this sequence of events. Have been told my camera will be double checked for faults and that it will be returned free of charge and, should the problem reoccur at any point I will not have to cover the cost of returning it for the second time. So thumbs up for PurelyGadgets customer service so far, but am still feeling a bit insecure about my apparantely faultless camera![/align]
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:23 PM   #49

I did the reset too and even considered a re-install of the firmware but didn't because I tried all kind off processes that utilized the command dial and non responded, than I was sure it was what the forum here discusses, broken shaft ...

I also have/had a slight problem with the on/off switch

It' in for repairs now (since Monday) and the latest news (yesterday) was that it will take a few more days because they are waiting for spare parts ...
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:27 AM   #50

The Command Wheel and On/Off switch problems are very likely to be different issues.
If a s9500 is switched off then back on very quickly it may not restart. This is similar to the s7000 although that camera has to be off for a little longer than the s9500.
The Command Wheel fault is most likely to be mechanical failure as reports over various forums always conclude that Fuji Service has replaced the top right hand panel of the camera which seems to be a complete sub assembly.
What we really need here is a few photographs of a s9500 dismantled showing the relevant parts.
It would be really useful for when the cameras become out of guarantee then we maybe can dream up a repair using the faulty parts with a modification to prevent further failure.
Regards,
David
dgosden is offline   Reply With Quote